• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wait for Bay Area LTE Rollout Date vs. Switch to Metro PCS?

dyh

Jun 3, 2010
I live in the Los Gatos hills, and I currently don't really get service with Sprint and no Wimax. I can't really use my phone unless I'm missing something I could do to fix the signal, which currently goes back and forth between 2-3 bars and 0. I talked to a rep at Wilson Electronics and his theory is that the signal is bouncing through the mountains and so isn't steady.

I updated the PRL and I'm aware that I could try a Wilson signal booster, which may or may not work from what the rep told me.

But I'm wondering if there's any point in me waiting for Sprint to upgrade its network and deploy LTE (if it's coming to the bay area sooner rather than later.)

I tested a Metro PCS phone and the reception is better than Sprint's in my house (It looks like I can at least make calls), and I even get an LTE signal, although since I'm on the border it switches between that and 1x.

Any thoughts on what might be best? It does look like Sprint has the right strategy with Network Vision, but I'd have to wait for that and there's no telling if it would even help.

This is my area. https://network.sprint.com/search/Brush+Road+Los+Gatos,+CA+95033/

I know Metro PCS gets a bad rap, but it seems like it would work for me in my house, and the coverage map includes the whole bay area. I really want a working 4G wireless speed. I've basically never used Wimax although I'm paying too much for it, and unless the new Wilson Sleek 4G-V only works with Verizon's signal band I'd probably get that for use with either a Sprint or Metro PCS LTE phone in my house.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Yea.. If I wasn't getting a signal at my house, I'd have to say sianara to Sprint. You could call Sprint and ask for an femtocell for your home.. Alot of times they will give them to you for free, In cases like this. Or, a suggestion, find an off-contract/month to month provider to use over the next few months to see what Sprint announces in regards to network vision upgrades.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't use an Airave because it requires at least 40 KBps on the upload speed from what the rep told me. I only get around 10-12 with Verizon's shitty DSL connection.

I guess what I could do is just switch to Metro for now and go back to Sprint later if I want to. One thing that does worry me about Sprint is that there's the potential for the disappearance of unlimited data for cellphones, and that would be unacceptable to me.

Upvote 0
I got the force roaming application and it didn't work. I might have to upgrade the OS to 2.3 though.

Either way Sprint won't have LTE till quarter 3 of this year in my area, and I don't think I can wait that long.

I made a 10 minute call with the Metro test phone and I was able to talk. It was a little spotty, but it seems to work better than my Sprint reception.

I did call Sprint and the tech I talked to said I was about 4 or 5 software upgrades behind. I'm guessing because I'm using a custom kernel and root, and maybe custom ROM (currently 2.2) but I forgot what I installed.

He said he didn't know if going through the software upgrades sequentially would fix the problem, but maybe that's what it is. I noticed that my reception does seem to drop from good signal to zero and back and forth recently. Could that possibly have to do with not having the latest software upgrades? The only time I've noticed real problems with calls are at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones