• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wait, WHAT!?!!?

To answer your question this is why right here read this and this should help you out: Amazon Kindle Finds a New Use for 3G | PCWorld

If you dont read it you wont know HOW they do it. It actually is a marketing sceme and really nothing is for free. What they did was they included it in the price of the Kindle so technically they say its free but paying the price you pay for the Kindle itself it takes care of allot of book transfers as well as data transfered back and forth through the 3G network that Amazon is using.
I am sure your thinking HEY FREE 3G and um no not happening without a Kindle E Book due to the way that the E Books log in to the 3G network.

Upvote 0
All the more reason to give us smartphone users something better :mad: , a bigger push on 4g, or even use the old analogue TV (VHF, UHF) network to spread WiMax, hell, it may even give better coverage than 3g or EDGE in some places!

Let Kindle users have their free g, I want more consistent signal with less black spots. So what if it's weaker, I'm paying!

Upvote 0
The free 3g on Kindle is for distribution of ebooks only. You can't use it to do any regular internet browsing or other things your smartphone does with apps (though Kindles do have wifi for internet browsing).
You can definitely do 3G web browsing on the kindle 3. And you can do it anywhere in the world. For FREE.

But youre not going to enjoy it much: viewing web pages on an e-ink display isnt ideal to say the least, and you can forget video. Its good enough to check your email and catch up on the news, but that's about it IMO.

Upvote 0
Unless you have one of the older Kindles where web browsing over 3g is still supported.
:thinking: AFAIK all Kindles with 3G support it (edit: maybe the ad-supported ones dont?). And I havent seen any reporting on the Kindle Touch (the only one of the newly announced devices that has 3G) which says they've dropped it (although I may have missed it).

Edit: Ah, they have dropped it from the Touch. Bit of a shame, but i guess you cant blame them: http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/10/3/amazon-drops-web-browsing-kindle-touch-3g/.

However, the keyboard 3G model is still being sold and will still support it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones