• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to switch to Sprint but have a few questions/issues

varaonaid

Android Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2009
VT!
Hello,

We are long time Verizon customers but have had enough of their capricious attitude, the insane recent price hikes and limited data plans. (although we currently have unlimited data). However, my husband's phone was stolen about a month ago and while we're using an old phone for the moment, we need to upgrade it for him. I like Sprint's current business model of unlimited everything (& we plan to sign up for everything data plus from the employees referral to save a bit and get more minutes). We also like the fact that Sprint is a green company and supports more things that we believe in. Yeah, I know that we're giving up the network for a bit until Sprint's Network Vision is completed but I think we can live with that.

Here's my dilemma. There are no Sprint owned stores in our area, just third party stores and only a couple of those so I can't buy through them &get everything data plus... Which is fine because they don't know much at all. I went there to try to see both the Evo 4G LTE side by side with the Samsung Galaxy S3...both working. Unfortunately, they didn't have a working model of the S3 but they opened up a package so I could at least hold them next to each other.

My concern most of all is with the radio quality and reception. I have some serious medical issues so being able to call for help is a frequent need. I took my current phone (HTC Rezound), my husband's Motorola DROID X, and the Evo LTE, and did side by side comparisons of the radios. My Rezound came in top at -80 give or take a few both directions, the DX, at -86 also give/take & the Evo LTE at -97 to -103. I then tried to load a webpage on my Rezound and the Evo. I picked yahoo because it has mixed media &was a first thing that popped into my head. My Rezound loaded the desktop version in less than 20 seconds... The Evo was still attempting to load the mobile version after several minutes.

So, do I believe the story that the mall kiosk has terrible Sprint reception? Was the demo Evo LTE one of the bad first batch? I know that there will be a step back in service speed but this was unbearable. I'm hoping that this isn't the normal for Sprint service... I mean it can't be, right? Right no one would use them.

What I'm unable to find out is what the Samsung Galaxy S3 radio is like compared to the Evo LTE in similar circumstances. I can't afford to get one of the phones, not have it work, pay the restocking fee and a second activation fee. With two lines that's over $200 just to switch away from a defective phone. Is there any leeway given for phones that won't hold a signal... Like allowing us to switch to another phone if the first is defective? I know that the base chipset is the same between the two phones but from what I've read the radios themselves can be different based on the manufacturer. So, I don't know what either the HTC Evo LTE or galaxy S3 would be like on any specific phone and it sounds like there are differences in the batches. What do I do or what would you do? I know we're taking a risk switching to carriers but we want to live authentically and put money into companies that are supporting the things we believe in and shaping their company based upon similar values. We will be having to do a transfer of our Vzw account (assumption of liability) once we're settled into Sprint but not until we're positive it works for us. Then we'll give up our Vzw contract so we don't owe an ETF. It also gives my DH the phone upgrade he needs since his was stolen during one of my medical emergencies. Vzw refused to help us at all through the whole process.

But I digress.

What do you think phone wise? Bad reception? Bad Evo LTE? Would you take a chance on the S3 with Samsung's past radio issues... Do you think that they've improved them? Would you take a chance on getting a bad Evo LTE since HTC /Sprint have admitted to a problem there? Since I can't compare them side by side working or compare radio strengths I really need advice!

Thanks so much in advance!
All the best,
Rae

Okay, I live in Tucson AZ right in the middle of the city, so our reception will differ since we live in totally different areas. I also want to support Sprint because as you said, they are a green company, and they are really trying to bring the best that Sprint has to the public for a decent price. For that I respect them. I will tell you my experiences with both companies since I don't have the same phones that you have.
I have the HTC Evo3D with Sprint. It is a very nice dual core smartphone. In most of the places I go, I have great Sprint voice service. Only when I go into the mountains, or far from the city, do I lose voice service. Their data service is as slow as molasses, and sometimes when I am downoading a large file, it times out. I hate that aspect of Sprint service, as I love my data downloads. If and when I terminate my Sprint service that will be the only reason. The plan prices are very fair, and the customer service in my area is good, although that varies with location. When I have to call Sprint customer service, it has always gone well for me. I just can't deal with those slower than slow download speeds.To be fair though, I do NOT have 4G in my area with Sprint. You may have 4G speeds where you live. Check on that.
I have a Motorola Droid Bionic with Verizon. It is a very nice dual core smartphone.
Verizon customer service is not as appreciative of my business, and their prices have started to reflect how little they value their customers. They have amazing voice service, and fast download speeds on 3G, and blazing fast download speeds on LTE. Their service is reliable, and expensive.
If I had medical emergencies, I think I would probably stay with Verizon. It is reliable almost everywhere, and that trumps the expensive, or green thing, when you have medical emergencies.
Any phone is only as good as the network you are on.

Upvote 0
I used to be on Sprint and switched to Verizon a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. The speeds are so much faster, 4G is very abundant, and I only pay like $10 more a month (I have an individual plan, so the new Share Everything plans don't affect me at all).

Taking minutes to load web pages on Sprint's network like you described is pretty typical. For the most part, Sprint's data speeds are horrendous. I believe Network Vision isn't scheduled to be completed until the end of 2013 (?) so you may be waiting awhile for better data speeds depending on your location.

In my opinion, Verizon's far superior network is worth paying extra for.

Upvote 0
I've been a more or less happy Sprint customer for 13 years now. Given your situation and the need for rock solid reliability for medical reasons, however, I suggest sticking with Verizon for the time being. It sounds like Sprint service in your area may be a bit spotty, which is something you absolutely can not tolerate. Yeah, Verizon is more expensive and they're corporate jerks, but if you never have to talk to an employee you probably won't notice the latter.

That said, when your next contract is up, take a look at Sprint again. Hopefully things will have improved in your area by then and you can ditch Big Red.

Upvote 0
I'll let you know. Mostly I want to know that Sprint will stand behind either phone if the radios aren't up to par without the restocking fees and a second activation fee... I can't afford $210 of activation, restocking and another reactivation fee for phones that are defective. I'm not talking about just changing my mind and wanting a different phone but needing to trust that one way or another I'll get two phones with no radio issues.

It's not as simple as just staying with VZW, my husband's phone was stolen during one of my medical emergencies... He's currently using an old phone but it's not working very well. So, we either pony up for a new phone (even if it's via Craigslist) or we get a new provider (who hopefully gives a care bc Vzw certainly didn't!), both get new phones and sell our current ones to cover most of the upfront cost of the new phones. We could wait until Network Vision is completed or moreso but will they still be able to offer unlimited data plan at that point. Since we feel that we want to switch, now feels like a good time to do so. Does that make sense?

No we're not out of contract with Verizon but have people lined up to do an AOL (assumption of liability or contract takeover) so we'd be out of it with no fees. However, we won't complete the AOL until we're sure that Sprint will work for us now.

Does anyone know if the everything data plus (we'd be looking at the 1600min family plan) has free activation? I'd have to order online and it would be via employee referral? Also, do you get any numbers you can pick that are unlimited to those numbers? Verizon had friends and family where you got to pick a handful of numbers that you call the most that don't count against our minutes. My only concern is my in laws as they have a VERY limited cell plan and use their land line almost exclusively. If we could add that one number that would help a ton. I'd read somewhere online that Sprint had something similar but now, of course, can't find it again.

I appreciate all of your help and advice so very much. I hope this explains more why we're considering the switch and why we need good phone reception... At least as good as is currently possible on their network.

BTW, when we informed Vzw about the phone theft we were tracking the phone on Google latitude and the refused to help or advise us as to what to do in any way. Super disappointed with their lack of help. If the customer service had been better, we might have gotten our phone back. I've heard good things about Sprint's customer service.

Any other thoughts or suggestions or advice... Please share! And many thanks to all of you who have shared!

Upvote 0
I'll let you know. Mostly I want to know that Sprint will stand behind either phone if the radios aren't up to par without the restocking fees and a second activation fee... I can't afford $210 of activation, restocking and another reactivation fee for phones that are defective. I'm not talking about just changing my mind and wanting a different phone but needing to trust that one way or another I'll get two phones with no radio issues.

Sprint has excellent customer service these days (for a cell phone company, that is). They're generally very helpful. If you cancel service within three days of activation, they will waive the activation fees (within 14 days you'll have to pay the activation fee but not an early termination fee). If you don't like your phone, you have 14 days to exchange it for another one. If it's not defective, I think all you'll have to pay is a $35 restocking fee but no activation fee for the new phone (but I'd double check with a Sprint rep on that one). I have not had major problems getting Sprint to repair or replace a defective phone under warranty, and the most I was charged was a service fee ($35 if I recall, when they did charge one).

Does anyone know if the everything data plus (we'd be looking at the 1600min family plan) has free activation? I'd have to order online and it would be via employee referral? Also, do you get any numbers you can pick that are unlimited to those numbers? Verizon had friends and family where you got to pick a handful of numbers that you call the most that don't count against our minutes. My only concern is my in laws as they have a VERY limited cell plan and use their land line almost exclusively. If we could add that one number that would help a ton. I'd read somewhere online that Sprint had something similar but now, of course, can't find it again.
You may be able to get free activation as a new customer depending on how you do it. I know some stores/websites offer that as an incentive from time to time, so look into Amazon Wireless, Best Buy, Radio Shack, and the like. Depending on your employer, you may be able to get a discount from Sprint as well (the list is long and convoluted, it may be easiest to just ask a Sprint Rep or use their online checker).

Sprint doesn't offer a calling circle that I'm aware of, but the family plan you mention is the one I use and I have free mobile to mobile (any carrier) as long as I'm on the Sprint network (not roaming). Free nights also start at 7pm and weekends are free, so you won't use your minutes then. Also, if your reception at home is subpar and you have an internet connection, you can get what's called an Airave to boost your reception at home.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
If you have a Bestbuy near your house you could get your phones there. I returned a phone because I didn't like it and they did not charge me restocking fees or new activation.

They also say that if you are going to try to get out of the activation fee do it before you get the new phone. Often they can call up sprint and especially for new customers it can be waived.

They also have the technology buyback plan and insurance that has no deductible.

You also have 30 days to decide if you want to change phones.

Only 14 days to decide if you like the carrier or not though.

Also definitely check if you get a plan discount with you or your husbands employer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones