• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wanting to switch back to iPhone... help!

So I was tired of using my 3GS for a year and decided to bite the bullet and get a new i9000 galaxy S. For some reason though, I suddenly have an urge to return to the iPhone.

Maybe I'm just indecisive? I don't know. Something on Android just doesn't "feel" right. The scrolling isn't as nice. The web browsing isn't as nice. The pinch to zoom isn't as smooth. The overall interface just doesn't feel as seemless. Is it normal to feel like this?

Define normal.;) People like what they like and there isn't much that will change that. If the iPhone appeals to you more then you may want to switch back. There are plenty of people on here that have and use more than one phone. Some have multiple Android phones and some have Android, iPhone, BlackBerry and even dumb phones.

Personally, I have my Fascinate, Eris and a Nokia that I switch between. The Fascinate is my regular phone, the Eris is for when I still want all the functions but can't carry the same size and the Nokia is for when I just need text and call features (Also when I am going to a place where I might lose or break my phone like a Lake)

Upvote 0
Apple is successful for 3 reasons, IMO.
1. They make "pretty" things.
2. They make things that are so easy to use. I would call their products dumbed down and restricted. They are control freaks and only want you doing what they intended with their products.
3. Apple is great at marketing. They steal old ideas, modify them, and claim they are their own ground-breaking ideas. Apple fanboys buy into the hype.

Android, much like Windows, is more open and free than iOS or OSX. With Android and Windows you are free to do anything you like and dream, even to the point of allowing you to "break" things. Apple gives you something and says here use it this way or don't use it at all.

Some people like that simplicity and many more need that simplicity because they just aren't tech savvy enough.

And Android isn't for everybody. If you want to go back to the iPhone it means you aren't happy with Android. Make the switch. There's no reason to feel guilty about it.

Upvote 0
Apple is successful for 3 reasons, IMO.
1. They make "pretty" things.
2. They make things that are so easy to use. I would call their products dumbed down and restricted. They are control freaks and only want you doing what they intended with their products.
3. Apple is great at marketing. They steal old ideas, modify them, and claim they are their own ground-breaking ideas. Apple fanboys buy into the hype.

Android, much like Windows, is more open and free than iOS or OSX. With Android and Windows you are free to do anything you like and dream, even to the point of allowing you to "break" things. Apple gives you something and says here use it this way or don't use it at all.

Some people like that simplicity and many more need that simplicity because they just aren't tech savvy enough.

And Android isn't for everybody. If you want to go back to the iPhone it means you aren't happy with Android. Make the switch. There's no reason to feel guilty about it.

Except that in your above post you sort of make anyone considering this feel guilty... LOL

Upvote 0
Try to assess what you were tired of on your iPhone 3GS. What were you tired of? Do you think you just grew bored and wanted to try something new? Do you enjoy certain things about android more than iPhone? Weigh your options.

I think you're going to get biased reactions here because just as there are a ton of Apple fanboys out there, there are a ton of Android ones too who will have you believe that to own or, gasp, like anything Apple means that you can't think for yourself, worship steve jobs, and for no reason want to throw your money at them. That simply isn't the case in my opinion, and for some people an iPhone is a better choice. If you're one of those people, don't feel bad.

Upvote 0
Have you tried tweaking the phone a bit? For example installing Launcher Pro instead of keeping the stock UI. But that's only the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot of heavy modding you can do. It can improve your experience immensely.
If you're not willing to look into all that then go back to the iphone. Do you still have it?

The points you make are good ones, and I think Android has a little ways to go before it can catch up to the refined iPhone experience right out of the box. In the meantime it'll be necessary to do some homework and put some time into getting the phone where you want it.
It can be daunting...

Upvote 0
So if I'm hearing you right...you are wondering if the iPhones are more "fluid" than Android devices?

I'm sorry to say that yes they are. Apple has done an awesome job of streamlining their phones and making everything very responsive and fluid.

A big difference is memory allocation. Android uses more memory as it truly multi-tasks where Apple dedicates more memory to the single app in use (even in the "multitasking" iPhone4). The iPhone's interface is basically an advanced version of Android's app drawer. Android utilizes multiple homescreens in addition to an app drawer with widgets constantly running and updating. It takes more memory to be able to do this and is the first "big" difference I notice between the two platforms.

If you want more memory for apps, use less widgets (especially ones that are constantly updating like news, weather, youtube, etc.). Some people also use a task killer because they want to kill any "unnecessary" processes running. I don't recommend using automatic tasks killers but I do end tasks that I am no longer using (just to free up some of the limited 256MB of RAM found in the Droid1.

The real beauty of Android for me is that it is available on a wide variety of handsets where as Apple's IOS only is available on one device, one screen size, and one carrier (for now). The Droid1 form factor is getting a little stale for me and if I only could update to the Droid2, I would be disappointed cause I wan't something new. I couldn't imagine my last 3-4 phones being all virtually the same with just some software and hardware improvements....boring! I'm a little bored with my phone's hardware and form factor after only one year...It's nice to know I can have the same platform but jump up to a 4.3" device with no physical keyboard.

Just throwing some points to consider when considering the iPhone vs. Android devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones