• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WARNING: Is Your Data Plan OFF?

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
We’ve got a warning/announcement for all folks who pre-ordered their T-Mobile G1 and have it in hand. Remember that 1 week of free data service you got with your phone? Well, after that 1 week your “free” service is turned off but your “paid service” is never turned on! So if you’ve just passed that 1 [...]

More...

SUMMARY: For those that pre-ordered, when your 1 week free data service ends they don't automatically switch you over to your paid data service... LEAVING YOU WITH NO DATA SERVICE!

Sign on to your T-Mobile account and/or call Customer Care to apply your unlimited data plan to your G1 or you will have a lot of problems. And if you're already having problems, this is how you fix them!

Upvote 0
that is odd.

It has been 1 week and 2 days for me and I checked mine and it shows I have the G1 Unlimited Data/TXT plan which I ordered.

I have a feeling they used some type of automated procedure for this and something about my file (and others) kept the automated procedure from finishing. It happens, sometimes when you're working with large groups of files you find out that everyone who was born on February 29th doesn't process properly for some reason.
It was easy for me to fix. I just logged into T-Mo, saw that my data plan wasn't on there, added it, and within two hours ( I wasn't really checking, I'm busy all day at work) I was back online.

I did notice, however, that it's good they made us get the data plans for this phone. So many feature just don't work if you don't have data. And the way some of them piggyback on each other it can cause problems.

Like for example. I have locale set up to change my wallpaper, lower my ringtone, and turn off WiFi while I'm at work. So that it doesn't happen on weekends it has to meet two conditions: Time (9am to 5pm) and location (a wide area I selected that includes my office building and the surrounding blocks here in chicago). Locale didn't work until my data came back....why, you ask? Because it couldn't find my location. Maps sets your location, and without data, Maps couldn't pull the maps, and find my position on those maps. I turned on GPS, but that didn't help.

Upvote 0
i haven't the same issue. you ,bad luck.:)
clear.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones