Watching movies kills my battery bigtime! Is there a type of video file that consumes less power?Support

Last Updated:

1. elbraddo

elbraddo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Watching a 30 min episode of a tv show, uses 25% of my Desire's battery life. Watching a 90 min movie uses 75% (funnily enough!! ;) )

Obviously, powering the lovely screen uses up a lot of juice. Just wondering whether there is any particular type of file that is more CPU intensive to decode and run, than others?

I currently use Mpeg 4 format. The program I use to convert my avi's to mpeg4, gives me different quality level options.

Would it make a difference to power consumption if I was to convert the avi's to a lower quality mpeg4 file?

Advertisement
  2. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Well-Known Member

I've only ever used DIVX files for movies and TV shows which I've played with Rock Player. I've never experienced as much as the 25% drop in battery during a 30 minute show. How much my battery has dropped, I'm not certain. When I get chance I'll report back.

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

"Is there a type of video file that consumes less power? "

yep... short ones :0)

seriously though, I think the mp4 (m4v) format uses less processing power. I read somewhere that the Desire's processor has m4v optimisation designed in.
    but watching video of any kind will drain your battery quickly as it demands a lot of the phone.

4. HTC_Desire

HTC_Desire Well-Known Member

I could never be bothered to do the conversion now that I have Rockplayer. Plays great.