• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Watching movies kills my battery bigtime! Is there a type of video file that consumes less power?

elbraddo

Jul 4, 2010
Watching a 30 min episode of a tv show, uses 25% of my Desire's battery life. Watching a 90 min movie uses 75% (funnily enough!! ;) )

Obviously, powering the lovely screen uses up a lot of juice. Just wondering whether there is any particular type of file that is more CPU intensive to decode and run, than others?

I currently use Mpeg 4 format. The program I use to convert my avi's to mpeg4, gives me different quality level options.

Would it make a difference to power consumption if I was to convert the avi's to a lower quality mpeg4 file?

"Is there a type of video file that consumes less power? "

yep... short ones :0)

seriously though, I think the mp4 (m4v) format uses less processing power. I read somewhere that the Desire's processor has m4v optimisation designed in.
but watching video of any kind will drain your battery quickly as it demands a lot of the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones