• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

brmayhem

Feb 9, 2010
FL
So I went to the beach with friends this weekend and had my phone in a ziploc bag along with other items. Well, it seems that one of my friends went into the bag to get something and had their hands completely wet. About one hour later I went to check the time on the phone and there was about two inches of water in it.

I immideately removed the battery, sim card and sd card and left it out to dry. Got home some time later and did the rice trick and left it there for the entire weekend (just switched its position every 8 hours).

Tried to turn it on this morning and it powers up, makes sounds and vibrates but the screen doesn't come on. If I touch the screen in some spots I still get vibration feedback and sounds but nothing else.

Am I screwed? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Two inches of water from wet hands, huh? That doesn't sound right, but ok. First the screen maybe perminately damaged due to the fact that it is amoled screen and contains organic parts that can be distroyed by salt water. Your friend screwed u and should replace your phone! Other than that keep letting it dry out but you already waited longer than normally needed. Btw neither tmo or samsung will replace water damaged phones. :(

Upvote 0
Two inches of water from wet hands, huh? That doesn't sound right, but ok. First the screen maybe perminately damaged due to the fact that it is amoled screen and contains organic parts that can be distroyed by salt water. Your friend screwed u and should replace your phone! Other than that keep letting it dry out but you already waited longer than normally needed. Btw neither tmo or samsung will replace water damaged phones. :(

I think tmo's extended/premium warranty does cover water damage.

Upvote 0

It's called a guesstimate, I didn't actually measure it out before taking my phone out plus it was a small zip-loc, smaller than a sandwich bag. I wish I knew who it was, but once alcohol and a destroyed $400 phone are involved no one usually comes forward.

I will attempt to open it and see the real damage. I don't have insurance but already found a replacement for cheap if necessary. After BH_MAN came into the spotlight I would not consider switching to any other current phone.

Upvote 0
It's called a guesstimate, I didn't actually measure it out before taking my phone out plus it was a small zip-loc, smaller than a sandwich bag. I wish I knew who it was, but once alcohol and a destroyed $400 phone are involved no one usually comes forward.

I will attempt to open it and see the real damage. I don't have insurance but already found a replacement for cheap if necessary. After BH_MAN came into the spotlight I would not consider switching to any other current phone.

Um.. if you aren't all up about modesty and honesty you could get it done for free.... ask them to send you a new phone, once you get the new phone in the mail or whatever open up your water damaged one switch the water damaged indicators and basically send them back the water damaged phone with the new indicator and keep the new phone with the water damaged indicator.:D and boom new phone for free. although this method is looked down upon but who cares.

Upvote 0
Um.. if you aren't all up about modesty and honesty you could get it done for free.... ask them to send you a new phone, once you get the new phone in the mail or whatever open up your water damaged one switch the water damaged indicators and basically send them back the water damaged phone with the new indicator and keep the new phone with the water damaged indicator.:D and boom new phone for free. although this method is looked down upon but who cares.

This method is fraud. It's illegal...so the police, fbi, postal inspectors, state, county and federal prosecutors will care. And depending on the exact circumstances, you could face actual JAILTIME.

Ok, so you probably wouldn't get caught, and would probably just be charged for both phones and/or fined. I just wanted to point out that this suggestion could result in your doing 3 years in leavenworth.

Oh, and tmo seem to use "warranty" and "insurance" interchangeably to describe their premium handset protection plan.

Upvote 0
This method is fraud. It's illegal...so the police, fbi, postal inspectors, state, county and federal prosecutors will care. And depending on the exact circumstances, you could face actual JAILTIME.

Ok, so you probably wouldn't get caught, and would probably just be charged for both phones and/or fined. I just wanted to point out that this suggestion could result in your doing 3 years in leavenworth.

Oh, and tmo seem to use "warranty" and "insurance" interchangeably to describe their premium handset protection plan.

Thats kind of what I had meant by "looked down upon" lol but if you don't get caught then ay its whatever. The people who get caught usually are those who do it repeatedly to where its a noticeable problem. If you just do it once I doubt someone would get caught.

Fbi doesn't care about some $200 worth value maybe just regular police but fbi wouldn't go after such a small value. Lets be real now.

Upvote 0
Seems like there is no hope. I should be getting a refurbished Behold II within a couple of days. Can't wait to load up R10 and check it out for myself.

Also, switching indicators will just prove to be useless. Those indicators are just one of the many things that will indicate a demaged device according to another post in this forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones