• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Web browser with forward/back buttons, URL address and favorites toolbar?

lovemuffin

Apr 24, 2011
I need a web browser that works like my desktop browser (Firefox) for my tablet. Navigating the internet on my tablet is making me feel so stressed and frustrated. I can't go back. I can't go forward. I can't quickly type in a new URL address. I can't access my favorites super easily.

I tried Dolphin HD and it didn't have any options for the navigation bar. I tried Maxthon and it did let you pull down the URL navigation bar, but it covered the top of the webpage instead of pushing it down. I am on a big tablet, not a phone, and I can afford a permanent navigation bar at the top of my screen that does not cover up the webpage. Plus, no back or forward buttons. I've heard the Android Firefox is slow, so I haven't even tried it.

Is there a decent browser that will let me have a permanent navigation bar like my desktop? This is making me so angry! Thanks in advance!

Boat browser is generally pretty good, it has the navigation controls I want, but the new tab button annoys me. Instead of just opening a new tab with my homepage, it asks me to google something. That might be a problem. I think actually the search and new tab buttons are too close together, because sometimes I can get it to open a new tab, but even if I tap the very edge of the screen away from the search buttom, it's still thinking I am pressing the wrong button. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate that. Seems like a glitch. It happens even when I go full screen mode and hide the search button.

edit: I figured it out. One tap for search. Two taps for new tab. I'll see if I can get used to it now that I know how it works!

Upvote 0
Boat browser is generally pretty good, it has the navigation controls I want, but the new tab button annoys me. Instead of just opening a new tab with my homepage, it asks me to google something. That might be a problem. I think actually the search and new tab buttons are too close together, because sometimes I can get it to open a new tab, but even if I tap the very edge of the screen away from the search buttom, it's still thinking I am pressing the wrong button. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate that. Seems like a glitch. It happens even when I go full screen mode and hide the search button.

edit: I figured it out. One tap for search. Two taps for new tab. I'll see if I can get used to it now that I know how it works!
In settings, you can set the new tab to be opened with the default screen, which shows your speed dial.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones