• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What 'adult beverage' are you enjoying RIGHT NOW?

IMG_20220816_235713_1.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
We need details.
Not all of us can read that!

One can see "42% vol" which is 42% alcohol by volume. How that converts into degrees, e.g. "138°", I don't know.

The actual adult beverage in my picture is a Mongolian baijiu, made in Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia, that I like to drink occasionally on some evenings. http://www.gushaojiuye.com/

Some baijius can go up to 75% vol. and can rather smell like jet fuel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One can see "42% vol" which is 42% alcohol by volume. How that converts into degrees, e.g. "138°", I don't know.

The actual adult beverage in my picture is a Mongolian baijiu, made in Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia, that I like to drink occasionally on some evenings. http://www.gushaojiuye.com/

Some baijius can go up to 75% vol. and can rather smell like jet fuel.

Well, ° is not always degrees.
It can also be used for the proof of alcoholic beverages.

Proof is 2x the percent of alcohol.

So 42% by volume is 84°.

138° is 69% alcohol.

Something that is 75% would be 150°.

For me, when you get into the 110° and above territories, if you smell or taste 'jet fuel' it is a turn off and a sign of a not real good product.
You can distill more than once, and each time will improve the product.

Anyone can go and get a bottle of EverClear, which is something like 190°, but the taste and odor is horrible.
I believe it is only distilled one time.

I have drank real moonshine (not this overpriced, weak in the knees commercial crap available everywhere now), which if done right is smooth and easy to sip.
The typical burn felt from strong alcohol is virtually non-existant, and the effects are felt extrenely rapidly.
Probably distilled 3 or more times.

Typically, I drink Scotch or Irish whiskey that is usually 80°. (Most of these are blends.)

These tend to be even more harsh with that alcohol burn than real, good moonshine or this here bottle of absinthe.

It is all about how much time and trouble is devoted to the production.

The problem is that when you get something like absinthe, or some excellent moonshine, you can get drunk very rapidly and not really comprehend how much alcohol you have consumed.

Absinthe was known for 'The Little Green Fairy'.
I can imagine why.
The very strong black liquorice flavor overwhelms the alcohol burn even at this high level.
You really can't taste it (in small sips), but you sure know that it is there.

When I got this bottle, I was going to an Orthodox Easter party.
They had their own bartender, who about lost her cookies when I brought it in.
She even refused at first, thinking that I was going to light a drink on fire.
I explained that that was not going to happen, and then some of the history of absinthe.
She is about half my age (and rather cute) so she got a pass on it, lol.

I wound up having two large drinks- one was the traditional way to drink absinthe, and the other was a Mohito made with absinthe.

After those two drinks, I was not slurring my speech or stumbling in my steps- but I was totally lit.

My ol'lady drove the 12 miles home, a ride that I really do not remember.

So here I was, totally coherent and able to function, yet unable to remember a car ride.

Easy to see how trouble could be found, lol.

Reactions: BrickHouse
Upvote 0
I "scored" some of these bottles while in México.

It was (they stopped making this brand) a very popular mezcal... like tequila but better and stronger :)

It was 43% when made but these bottles (9 of them I got) were stored for over 30 years in a warehouse!!! So I think it may be even more "dangerous" now :p

So this is good for 2 things: killing brain cells and degreasing engines (quote taken from The Matrix).

Every now and then, I pour a small shot and yes... I can breath fire!!! :D

Attachments

• Mezcal.jpg
    Mezcal.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
I "scored" some of these bottles while in México.

It was (they stopped making this brand) a very popular mezcal... like tequila but better and stronger :)

It was 43% when made but these bottles (9 of them I got) were stored for over 30 years in a warehouse!!! So I think it may be even more "dangerous" now :p

So this is good for 2 things: killing brain cells and degreasing engines (quote taken from The Matrix).

Every now and then, I pour a small shot and yes... I can breath fire!!! :D

I was introduced to mezcal while in Saltillo.
It is like a cousin of tequilla, also derived from the agave plant- but the plant parts are smoked.

I liked it.

Upvote 0
She even refused at first, thinking that I was going to light a drink on fire.

A few of us were in a bar one day drinking Everclear and lighting them on fire. I was shooting pool and set my shot glass on the rail to take a shot and knocked it over and lit the entire green with the flame ! lol, they cut us off after that.

I have eaten the worm at the bottom of a Mezcal bottle !

freakazoid1

Upvote 0
so there used to be this bar in Santa Barbara that made what they call a "Firetini". it was vodka that was infused with habanero peppers. they then shake in some passion fruit puree and served in a martini glass that is rimmed with habanero infused simple syrup (50/50 sugar and water) and sugar.

i normally do not like fruitty mixed drinks, but damn was this good. very spicy and sweet. i tried replicating this on my own, but it was never quite close to how this bar made it. suffice to say, the bar went under and so did the recipe.:(

Upvote 0
I'm drinking a regular Shiner Bock beer. It's been some time since I've had regular Shiner. I've been drinking the the Dark Lager Shiner or the 1909 Shiner for some time. My liquor store has been struggling to keep either in stock lately. Modelo Negra is a super good compromise but it is a bit more expensive and they don't allow a senior discount on imports. Though a great beer, they don't fit into my RTIC drink cooler and cost more than I want to spend. Surprisingly, the regular Shiner Bock tastes great for a change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones