• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do I use for security (AntiVirus, etc) such as Apps?

markw10

Apr 10, 2010
I'm new to Android and just purchased a 2013 Nexus 7. What do I need to do for security on it? I've heard about the Lookout Security and AntiVirus app. Is this something I should get or should I look into some other options for security such as AntiVirus, Malware protection, etc. Thanks!

Personally, speaking...I don't think you need any (AntiVirus, etc). Android is a protection by itself.

Most times some of those apps caused sluggish behavior.

I've never used anything like antivirus, and I've downloaded a lot of applications, from Google Play to other third party applications. However, if you are bent on getting one installed...lookout seems to be the most favorite.

By the way, I've moved your thread to our Applications forum. ;)

Upvote 0
As far as malware is concerned, if you are looking to protect yourself, then simply stay away from questionable app sources and don't click through messages that you don't recognize. While many of the security apps claim to prevent malware, mostly what they do is detect it after you've already got it.

That said, many of those apps do provide additional services like locating lost or stolen devices (although, it many jurisdictions, law enforcement isn't interested in tracking down a stolen phone or tablet... and you should never track it down yourself, if stolen.) They can offer backup solutions and other security to keep your data safe and private.

Personally, I've found them to be more of a hassle than anything else, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones