• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you think about survivalists/preppers?

D

Deleted User

Here's something I read on the BBC news site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34637377

Ok using the phrase "the end of the world" is a bit sensationalist, and let's face it, in the face of a truly major disaster like an asteroid strike, or nuclear war (God forbid), we are all likely good as dead.

But it's probably true that the food supply chain is fairly fragile, and in the event of something major like a worldwide pandemic, basic food stores, and even utilities like water/electricity might be disrupted.

The possibility of an uncontrollable worldwide virus outbreak still scares the hell out of me, and I think is the most immediate threat to the human race.

It's also probably true that Governments would not be able to cope, and you would not be able to rely on them to provide adequate services.
So how would you cope in this situation? Or do you think this survivalist/prepping stuff is pointless?

61bqgpFSufL._SL1000_.jpg

I'm convince Amazon will survive. I'll use this for sustenance.

Upvote 0
i think without a lot of money to get right stuff and refresh your stuff periodically. most of it is useless.

if you currently live in a large city... like Dallas or LA or London... most will be screwed.
a good exit strategy would be good. but once out.. you need to have a location to go to.

with a major killer virus ... wipe out all humans but...
the little unknown villages in the jungles. they don't talk to anyone outside and a self-sufficient.

they would have to restart the human race.. when / if they leave their little village to find what is left outside.
that would be a very interesting movie.. kind of like "they Gods must be crazy"

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0
I think in reality if something that drastic does happen like virus, nuclear disaster, asteroid strike etc, yes our government would be worse than useless looking after most of us, perhaps the select few with the money to get out of dodge, but Joe Bloggs is screwed, but I think there will be very little we can even do ourselves anyway. And I would be chuffed as chips if I were actually able to paddle to an uninfected remote little island off the coast of Haiti in a canoe but, how many others are going to have been able to survive. What happens happens, it's pretty much out of our hands anyway. Do we really need to canoe to safety if we get more riots??

Upvote 0
I can't see how the every day man can be prepared for all of the potential earth changing scenarios.
However, I see no harm in having some sort of plan in place. Something similar to a plan to exit one's home in case of a fire. I think trying to survive any sort of catastrophe in a densely populated area will be difficult at best so my plan is to get out of Dodge. My friends and family will be trying to survive whatever at my cabin on the river. There is food for at least a couple of days stored there. :rolleyes: I hope the fishing is good. :D

Upvote 0
I can't see how the every day man can be prepared for all of the potential earth changing scenarios.
However, I see no harm in having some sort of plan in place. Something similar to a plan to exit one's home in case of a fire. I think trying to survive any sort of catastrophe in a densely populated area will be difficult at best so my plan is to get out of Dodge. My friends and family will be trying to survive whatever at my cabin on the river. There is food for at least a couple of days stored there. :rolleyes: I hope the fishing is good. :D
That's a good, common sense plan. My issue is with the people who spend a large percentage of their time planning and worrying about something that 99.9% isn't going to happen in any particular lifetime. Then they have this smug sense of superiority like, "shit's goin down, and Ima be the only one to survive, cause I gots my basement stuffed with bottled water and MREs, and 100,000 rounds of ammo fer when the neighbors come ta steal it ." Lol

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I think a lot of these folk come across as complete nutters, and yes I agree that scaring kids with this stuff is wrong.
But I just got to thinking what is the most likely catastrophe that may strike the human race, possibly in my lifetime, and to me that would be viral. If people started dropping like flies, then food availability might become a difficulty, so to me it makes sense to have some long shelf-life food available, just for emergencies. You can get stuff that lasts 25 years.
Just being pragmatic about this, I'm not about to go and purchase myself a crossbow and radiation suit lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Same here. A lot of prepper basics are similar to Boy Scout training, really. Do ppl think that Boy Scouts are "nutters" too? Lol. JS.. As for the kids of peppers - Those are the kids that have a better chance of staying alive while also saving YOUR kid's lives when $Π¡+ gets bad. I know I'd be grateful for someone saving my children's lives no matter their age. Also better to be prepared and not need it than need it and NOT have it. Food for thought..

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
The notion of someone heading out in a canoe and living off the land is a little unrealistic to me. Most people don't have anywhere near enough skills/knowledge to do that.
But doing some little things to prepare for certain eventualities is not stupid at all. I bet you that most people couldn't even cope with a power cut, as they don't have candles in the house!
My plan would be to stay in the house, as we live in a semi-rural area. At least that provides me shelter. If I can do something about stocking up on emergency food/water and basic essential items, I will do that.

Upvote 0
I think the crux of it is this. Regardless of how prepared you are with supplies, if you're not prepared mentally and emotionally I think you're probably out of luck. As mentioned above, in my mind it's more important to be prepared with your skills and a plan than it is to have a big store of food and stuff. If you have all that but no plan or skills it just delays the inevitable, your untimely demise.

So for my money, learning to camp, hunt, fish, basic electronics, ability to grow food and self sustain, rain barrels, solar power, some knowledge of survival, that's how I "prepare for disaster" not by being a weirdo stashing a bunch of crap in my basement, wasting money and time that could be spent enjoying the fact that currently (even though it seems close some days) it's not the apocalypse yet.

Upvote 0
In the event of a cataclysmic super epidemic virus as in Stephen King's "The Stand", we are doomed anyway. Nuclear war, only those in remote areas would survive, and may die anyway due to radiation poisoning, or cancer caused by radiation or its mutagenic effect. Neither of those two "doomsday" events would I want me or my loved ones to survive.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the investment in some non genetically altered seeds might be a better long term investment in survival. Coupled with some gardening skills, at least it would be a renewable food source. Seeds would take up very little storage space and have multiple lifetimes shelf life.

The skills and the tools to procure wild game would be a must to a survivalist. Hunting weapons would be far more valuable than defense weapons IMO.

As to survival... Scouting and or military experience would be a plus in dire circumstances, true.
But there is much literature available on the subject. I wouldn't count on google for the power grid is fragile.

:D I'm beginning to sound like a survivalist... I'm not. It is entertaining to consider man suddenly returning to square one and surviving. In the past three to four generations man has become quite spoiled and dependent on the masses for their needs. If that chain is broken for any reason, I'll be wishing I was better prepared.

Upvote 0
Possible scenarios; war or military invasion, terrorism, the Internet breaking and causing untold chaos, financial meltdown etc. All real and all have happened to a greater or lesser extent in the last few years.

In my cellar I have a 4 pack of baked beans and a litre bottle of JD so if the proverbial does hit the fan I'm ok for about 2 days. Very hungover ones.

Upvote 0
Possible scenarios; war or military invasion, terrorism, the Internet breaking and causing untold chaos, financial meltdown etc. All real and all have happened to a greater or lesser extent in the last few years.

In my cellar I have a 4 pack of baked beans and a litre bottle of JD so if the proverbial does hit the fan I'm ok for about 2 days. Very hungover ones.

internet going down? really? that would be a source to cause people to use their survival gear and plans???

hhhmmmm.......
I think you need to detox from Facebook and social media! NOW!

me... I call it.. a day off work!!! go out .... cause problems!

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Ha ha probably right Dan330 I do need to move away from the screen.

But seriously if something major happened it would disrupt supply chains, and cause massive issues. Stock markets would be seriously damaged. Many businesses could not function without it. ATMs would not work, demand could exceed supply and yhen chaos.

And some people would have a meltdown if they couldn't access FB but that's a bit different.

Upvote 0
Ha ha probably right Dan330 I do need to move away from the screen.

But seriously if something major happened it would disrupt supply chains, and cause massive issues. Stock markets would be seriously damaged. Many businesses could not function without it. ATMs would not work, demand could exceed supply and yhen chaos.

And some people would have a meltdown if they couldn't access FB but that's a bit different.
Hey.. [emoji28] Let's just post ideas & instructions all over the internet so Terrorists know how to hit us.. [emoji12]
I mean, those EMP devices they are using over there were originally designed & posted by idiots here in the USA, [emoji28] terrorists took the posted designs and ran with it. Now the East is practically crippled like a quadriplegic trying to ski down a big mountain.. JS. Not trying to be an @$$ or anything (promise) but there are certain things that shouldn't be publicly posted. I apologize for any offense taken but someone needs to point out the obvious. Just food for thought.. [emoji41]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones