• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories What do you use for a case?

clb2196

Android Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2011
I got the portfolio case, and I just don't like it. It's awkward to hold, I have to take it out to charge- which worries be as I'm afraid of my cats knocking it over during the night.

I just bought a gel case for it- hot pink. :D I really want some kind of portfolio case that has a keyboard built in, like they have for iPad. But I'm not holding my breath.

I think what I'm going to do is get some kind of slip in type case that I can fit it in with the gel case. I also want to get the keyboard for when I'm doing homework (lots of writing papers, so the keyboard helps) and probably a collapsible stand, so hopefully I can find a case that fits all that.

Just curious what others are doing. I like the security of a case, and it's great for bringing it places which I do a lot, but for browsing at home I don't want to end up taking it in and out of something like the portfolio case all the time.

I got the portfolio case, and I just don't like it. It's awkward to hold, I have to take it out to charge- which worries be as I'm afraid of my cats knocking it over during the night.

I just bought a gel case for it- hot pink. :D I really want some kind of portfolio case that has a keyboard built in, like they have for iPad. But I'm not holding my breath.

I think what I'm going to do is get some kind of slip in type case that I can fit it in with the gel case. I also want to get the keyboard for when I'm doing homework (lots of writing papers, so the keyboard helps) and probably a collapsible stand, so hopefully I can find a case that fits all that.

Just curious what others are doing. I like the security of a case, and it's great for bringing it places which I do a lot, but for browsing at home I don't want to end up taking it in and out of something like the portfolio case all the time.

My new Xoom is still naked as of now... I just saw the Portfolio case from a co-worker and not excited about it either. I'm thinking Gel Case and then some type of "slipper" case myself. There are some out there, but I'm concerned are more or less re-branded iPad cases that won't be an exact fit for the Xoom, and then not sure if they will fit the Xoom with the Gel thing or not.

Would love to hear what others are buying also.

Upvote 0
Yeah- my dilemma is the keyboard. Do I get an iPad/netbook sized case, and just bring the keyboard along separate? Or get a laptop-sized case that fits the keyboard? The keyboard (and it sounds like it's worth getting the Motorola branded one) is 12.6" long. :/

Upvote 0
Just got this bag,

http://www.amazon.com/Sumdex-Netbook-Messenger-Notebooks-Inches/dp/B0015OHJV8

To hold my Xoom in a case (Acme Made), with a gel skin on it perfectly.

The bag looks great and everything fits great.

Upvote 0
Yeah- my dilemma is the keyboard. Do I get an iPad/netbook sized case, and just bring the keyboard along separate? Or get a laptop-sized case that fits the keyboard? The keyboard (and it sounds like it's worth getting the Motorola branded one) is 12.6" long. :/

This bag has an exterior pocket on the back that is about 7" wide and 10" deep, the back is 12"tall. You slide in their on the days you need it.

Amazon.com: Sumdex Netbook Messenger Bag for Notebooks up to 10.6 Inches (Black): Computer & Accessories

Upvote 0
I have a bag, though. I'm on call a lot so I end up carrying my (15") work laptop around, too. So I have a messenger bag, as well as a purse that'll fit my Xoom, so I just want a little thin zipper case so I can stick it in whichever bag I need. :) I have a case for my old netbook that fits my Xoom, but not the keyboard. The case is coming today, i just need to but the actual keyboard.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Motorola portfolio case until I find something better. I'll be using a hole punch on it tomorrow so I can plug in the charger while it's in the book; a detail difficult to believe was overlooked even if Motorola had the lowest bidder design and make them.

You can also flip the Xoom upside down in the case to access the USB/charging ports when the Xoom is shut inside the case. It makes it so that the power button isn't accessible without opening the case, but it works. I currently am charging the Xoom when it's powered off, so it's a non-issue for me. Personally I'm extremely happy with the Motorola portfolio case.

Upvote 0
I cutout an opening at the bottom so you can access all the ports with the case closed. It does work great, and there's no problems charging or transferring with the case closed.

I used a 1/4" leather hole punch on each side, and then used a hobby knife to cut between them. The material is actually pretty robust, so I did a bunch of light cuts instead of trying to gorilla through it in one pass :p

Then to finish it off (with the Xoom OUT of course!) I used one of those little micro jet lighters to clean up the edges, just touch the edge of the flame to the material, it will burn fairly easily! (I used a soft cloth and rubbed it around the opening to polish it off sorta, it left a bit of residue)

This SHOULD have been built into the design, would have been very easy to do as well, it does stick up a little bit around the middle, but no big deal compared to the functionality you GET from it!

portcutout1.jpg

portcutout2.jpg

Reactions: MutantCheese
Upvote 0
Not too precious about my gear. So right now it's uncased. But the kickstanded cases do interest me and admittedly the Xoom has picked up a couple of nicks, so I'm looking at the Incipio two-tone case (if it's actually available).

Even those nicks, I had to bang it pretty hard (accidentally of course) to accumulate so... well, it is as well finished as any cellphone I've seen so I don't worry about it too much.

Right now it usually just sits naked in one of my bags or in the integrated sleeve of my Acronym 3A-SR1 sling (brief view here - SLIGHT RETURN on Vimeo may be NSFW) which I wear with the S-J14 (S-J14 on Vimeo) or GT-J19 (ACR-FW-1011 on Vimeo).

Attachments

• 3a-sr1xoom.jpg
    3a-sr1xoom.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones