• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What does color of the circle of Widgets 'Active apps manager' mean?

James_Watson

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 8, 2014
    okblackcafe.blogspot.com
    What does color of the circle in icon of Widgets 'Active apps manager' mean?

As we know, on our Samsung Galaxy Note 3, there is a Widgets named with 'Active apps manager'. Its icon is a circle with a digital char in it. The digital char might stand for number of current active apps.

I found that sometimes the color of this circle is green while sometimes it becomes green and yellow, even sometimes it becomes red.

I wonder what the color means. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: psionandy
    A good question. It is either RAM, CPU usage or a combination of both. Red obviously meaning "lots", Orange "medium" , and green "low". The widget is useful to see how many apps are open, but pretty pointless unless you have a rouge app that is making your device crawl, which has personally never happened to me.

Thanks for your reply.

--- It is either RAM, CPU usage or a combination of both. Red obviously meaning "lots"...
    But I found sometimes it was still red while I had ended all active apps and had cleared RAM. So then was usage of RAM and CPU "lots"? ... :thinking:

Reactions: dynomot
    Upvote 0
    It's a pretty useless widget really, being merely an indicator. I have yet to find out it's scale - green, orange, and red are hardly values anyone could work with. You would need another app to see your CPU use percentage. If in normal use it is permanently red then it gives an indicator that something is not right, that's about it for it really.

Also clearing RAM in Android is the wrong way of doing things the adage "unused RAM is wasted RAM" is very true of it. Don't worry about what it displays at all unless you have an obvious problem with your phone, like it actually crawling or hanging.

Upvote 0
    I got a screenshot about this as below.

ActiveApps.png

Upvote 0
    i noticed on my phone.. if it is red all the time.. then the battery will be consumed faster.
    so something in the background is NOT letting the phone sleep.

some apps are conflicting with each other.. or with a core android process.
    I think android core processes will not show up on that widget.

how is your battery life??

guessing...
    your other widget " walking mate"
    is it always on? counting your steps.. "sensing" with the phones GPS and other features?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones