• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what does "flash your phone"mean?

tbta02

May 17, 2010
i updated to froyo on samsungs website and it works fine .is there a difference doing it this way then waiting for it from sprint .hear people say that if you do the samsung download you have to flash the phone .what does this mean?should i have waited for the sprint download ?does it void my warranty ?

In this case "flashing" refers to over writing the current OS with a new one. No matter the method you used, when you updated to froyo you flashed your phone. As for a difference between the OTA and the update.zip or Samsung update tool? They are supposed to be identical in function, though the update tool wipes the phones user memory while the update.zip and OTA do not. It appears that not wiping the memory may also play a large part in why the update was put on hold. If you've updated and you're not having issue, you need not worry. Enjoy your froyo Epic!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones