• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what does PC mode do?

MitchPhoenix

Mar 29, 2011
when i usb my droid 2 to the comp under usb mass storage, G and F drives show up. if i click on G my phone files come up and i can delete, copy whatever. But if i click on F it doesnt do anything, a thing comes up to install something, i did it but that didnt do anything. it still does the same thing if i click on the F drive.
first question does the F drive (or whatever letter it is on ur comp) mean anything?

then second if i change my phone to PC mode the G and F drives disappear, so i was wondering what PC mode actually does and what its for?

thanks

Go to settings > Applications > Development > and chech USB debugging.
In mass storage all I get is Drive M which is my sd card. That is all you should have too with whatever letter your computer designates to it. Most likely drive F on your computer is a usb port with nothing in it and the computer asks you to insert "something into drive F" Has nothing to do with your phone.

The PC mode is required when you want to SBF or use ADB to write scripts or look at stuff that is on your phone's internal memory. You have the Android SDK installed to look at internal memory files.

Upvote 0
Yeah I have the same thing even if debugging was checkmarked.

Could it be our PC;s? I think it's strange someone else sees those other 2 drives when the Droid is connected to the computer.

For me it doesn't matter if it's in PC Mode, USB Mode, etc. The ONLY way I can delete files off the phone is to remove the SD card and put it inside a reader then put the reader in my laptop

I think it's my piece of garbage laptop that's on it's very last leg anyway. Glad I'm not alone-lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones