What does Sprint have against this phone?General

Last Updated:

1. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Moment has been out for two weeks now, and I haven't seen any advertisements for this phone yet, but I see several for the Palm Pre and the HTC Hero.

If this phone is supposed to be awesome, why is it getting no publicity?

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

It's because Sprint's marketing department really is behind the ball. There's a huge thread on Howardforums about why their marketing sucks.

This phone is as big a deal as the Droid for us Sprint users, and yet no love from their ads.

My life has improved 300% from using this phone, switching from Treo, and also a Blackberry user.

3. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Now that is a quote...Lol

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

LOL I know!!

I thought I was pretty hot stuff with a Blackberry & a Centro, but man this phone beats both of the other phones sitting down!

I'm actually using it more even when I'm in front of my PC on a broadband network. It's truly amazing!! :)

5. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I've pondered the same thing. I have seen one ad that featured the Hero and the Moment, but other than that sprint ads usually only contain the Tour, Pre or Hero. I'm not sure I buy the reasoning that its just poor marketing, I've always felt like there is something else going on and that this phone is Sprints ugly step-child. Who knows maybe its lack of margin due to a horrible deal with Samsung....I really am confused about the whole situation

6. Zumaki

It really makes me worry about the support this phone will have.

7. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Hey, he's not kidding- I've been developing on Android for a while, but because I didn't want to leave Sprint (been with 'em for 12 years and think they're the best deal around, esp. for 3G data) I had to sit back and wish that I could use the very OS on my own network. When they'd announced the Moment, with its real keyboard and 800MHz processor, my Pre (and it's horrific lag and "hit 'End' twice to really hang up issues) was practically back in the box, ETF be damned.

Now I can get to all my E-mails, including the clients', the Google sync for all my contacts and calendar works perfectly, and the seamless integration of contacts and Google Maps just works. Couldn't ever get the Pre's Mapping software to do that right.

Now, if they'd just hurry up and release 1.6 for this thing (I'd really like to see A-GPS working, and the Music player can't read all my music's tags, both fixed in Donut), and fix the stuttering-audio issues on this phone that plague every app, this phone will be killer.

... but back on-topic, yeah- were it not for Engadget.com, I'd've had ZERO idea this phone was coming out, and I even get flyers from Sprint touting new phones 'cause I'm on some sort of Exec Business plan.

8. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Samsung or Sprint will shed some light on the future of the Moment regarding Android 2.0 or any other minor upgrades before 12/10 (my 30 days)

9. Ouija

Ouija Member

if we get rooted we don't have to wait for them to release official upgrades

10. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

It may not have been the Moment, but Sprint had a pretty decent commercial showcasing the Pre, Hero and BB Tour. Was surprised to see it. I'm sure it didn't have the Moment because it wasn't out sooner. The Hero was probably what they had when they were making it. Just a guess.

11. Zumaki

That reminds me of something else that has been strange. For many of Sprint's phones, they get a 'demo' model up to a few weeks ahead of time to help generate hype. The last 4 times I have gone to get a new phone, I have been able to see a few phones that weren't on display yet but were available to demo for picky buyers like me. The Moment wasn't available until Nov 1 for my Sprint store. The sales people didn't even know what I was talking about until the units arrived.

12. petrafan007

petrafan007 Well-Known Member

I am extremely appalled by the lack of media coverage, advertisement, and support (e.g. FREAKING ACCESSORIES) for this phone. Zagg finally came out with the invisible sheild for the phone. Good for them. Now where the hell can I get a case? DON'T TELL ME FOMMY, because I already tried. Backordered until November 30th. They should have been PREPARED, like the HTC Hero. I got everything I needed for the phone THE DAY AFTER IT CAME OUT.

At least I got $80 back because they lowered the price from $179.99 to $99.99. So, that makes me happy for a while.... :)

13. Zumaki

I bought mine from a Sprint store so they claim that I can't get price matched to what Amazon or anyone else is selling for (Why? They say they have nothing to do with 3rd party retailers. Strange, since its their phone on their network). Sucks.

14. bming1

bming1 New Member

After calling Sprint to work out a deal for a lower upgrade price on a phone for myself and a new phone and line for my wife, I bought two Moments at Best Buy. When I arrived at the store and walked over to the mobile section, I was surprised to find that the Moment wasn't even on display! It's as if they're purposely trying to keep the phone under wraps. There *were* lots of Heros on display, though. I wonder if Sprint/Best Buy is trying to burn through their inventory of Heros before placing the spotlight on the Moment. There are other explanations, I'm sure, but that seems to be a very plausible one.

15. methoderik

methoderik Well-Known Member

We didn't see any strong marketing push for the Hero until a few weeks after it's release. I am sure it will be the same with the moment. Best Buy's official release of the Moment was not until 11/15.

I think Sprint likes to turn on the Marketing when the phones are available in all markets so possible customers can get instant gratification.

I bet there is "padding" for the Hero as well.

16. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

i wonder if it has anything to do with samsung not paying for advertising or something to that extent as to why there is so little hubbub around this phone...

or maybe how badly the original samsung instinct let customers down...

17. ABH

ABH Well-Known Member

Sprint ad full page A11 in the Wall Street Journal

Features the Moment, Hero, Reclaim, and MiFi

18. abrahan

abrahan Well-Known Member

I've seen FULL COLOR FULL PAGE ads in the daily paper in Houston.

the ad features both the HERO and the Moment.

19. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

I know off topic but how did that work out and what was the situation exactly? trying to do the same thing. Currently have a $75 discount and not eligible till April for a full discount.

20. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

all the best buys around me had it on the 1st the official date for the moment at best buy was the 1st not the 15th i dont no were you got that from. I bought mine at best buy on the 2nd.

21. methoderik

methoderik Well-Known Member

I got mine around the 1st from Best Buy as well. The "Official" Best Buy release date was 11/15, I got that from Best Buy. Certain stores had them for sale earlier.

22. prot0type

prot0type Member

It was the reverse for me the day the Moment was released. Went to the local Sprint store, sorry no working display nor was there even one to be test driven. Went to BB and they at least had a dummy phone displayed with all the info. You wouldn't know the Moment was even released walking into the Sprint store that night

23. Warlock

Warlock Well-Known Member

I actually got mine from my local Sprint store on 10/30. I walked into the store to order a battery for my Touch Pro and my wife talked me into looking at phones instead. The rep said that they just got the Moment in and unboxed one for me to play with. I also played with the Hero, but wanted a hard keyboard and ended up walking out of the store 2hrs later with a brand new Moment.

I haven't missed my TP since.

24. Talyn

Talyn Well-Known Member

I can't even look at the screen on my touch pro anymore. =*(

I lost my damn 2 gig card that came with the moment though. I was gonna put it in the TP and use it as a music player for my truck, even though i'd have to use the dongle. =*(

25. Bradley

Bradley New Member

I just spoke to the Vice President of Samsung for the Sprint National Sales account about 1 hour ago. He indicated V 2.0 will be available sometime after the first of the year for Sprint's Moment. I love my Moment and you certainly can't beat Sprint's fast service!! I love it!!!