• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What features to want in next phone?

hal1

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2009
I am currently very happy with my Rezound and am eligible for an upgrade when I want. I mostly use my phone for web browsing and Slingbox streaming, and of course camera/video recording.

My question is, what realistic features should I wait for in my next phone that would make a difference for MY needs? I want to stay with HTC and am with Verizon. I'm also not a screen aficionado and am happy with the Rezound's screen.

Of course I want the latest iteration of Android and Sense. And I know I'd go for a larger screen if available, but I'm not sure what other features really make much of a difference for my use. I am in a 4g area.

Is a quad core, or 1.5g processor really going to make my web browsing any faster? Any other (realistic) niceties that I may want to wait for? My needs are fairly simple but I still like having the latest and greatest - even if it is only for a few months

Thanks

well the rezound has a dual core 1.5 in it already. personally i think 1.2-1.5 dual core is the sweet spot.

I guess the only thing i can think of given your comments would be the next (second) generation 4G radios for Verizon. No one really mentions that factor that much but honestly it should be. The next generation radios should offer more reliable reception/data throughput as well as being better on the battery.

anywho just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
It would be cool to have a breathalyzer!!!

Barometer would be neat too...saw something where they will soon implement these into phones for advertisers...such as if its raining, you will see an ad for a raincoat! lol

oh and radar detectors or somethin like that to tell you if there's a drone spying on you ten miles above :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
^ wow that kinda phone will get into the Sharper Image, Brookstone and Sky Mall catalogs faster than anything else!!! :D

I just want a ringtone that rings like an old school phone (the one with the bells... and really loud). hmm... maybe i should search for one now :) And a huge battery like the motorola phone in the 80's!! :)

Upvote 0
Apparently I'm the only one that wants a high end phone with the specs of the Rezound with a 4" screen... I don't need a phone that makes it look like I'm carrying a full novel in my jeans pocket.

Give me the Inc or Inc2 size and design with dual core, 4G and a high def 4" screen and I'll keep it forever. Bascially just shrink the Rezound.

Upvote 0
I may be wrong, but I don't think a quad core processor is going to be that beneficial for quite a while until there are apps developed to take advantage of it. I'm still waiting for ICS so I'll have an OS that can utilize the Rezound's dual core. I'm just hoping it doesn't break some other functionality in the process.

Size is very personal. dcorn wants a smaller screen, I'd like it to be a little bigger. My Rezound takes as good a picture as I usually need from a cell phone, but the newer phones seem to be coming out with even better cameras. I would like to see them improve the flashes on camera phones.

A good network connection is very important to me for tethering to my laptop, so that's one thing I always look for and so far the Rezound has the best 4G radio I've found and trophynuts just made my day by saying they're going to be getting better. I think the Samsung Galaxy GS III is suppose to have LTE on the processor chip and I don't know if that will mean it will be better or not.

It will need to have a battery I can replace. Some of the new phones seem to coming out with permanent batteries, but I don't plan on buying one. I also like to be able to change the SD card.

The Galaxy GS III is rumored to be coming out soon. The new Note intrigues me, but not enough to get me to go back to my previous carrier. I'm not sure about the size of it, but I would like to get my hands on one to see if I like it and Verizon should have their version a little later on.

My contract is up in December and I don't see anything out right now that gets me that excited, so if I were you and you aren't in any hurry, I'd wait a little while to see what Verizon is going to have coming out.

Upvote 0
geez, i just got my rezound 2 days ago and here people are already talking about what's next! ha...gotta love technology!

Haha, I got mine this past Thursday, I was just commenting on what I would have liked in this phone, not really the next phone (since that'll be 2 years from now).

I think people are nuts that want a phone to do everything. The phone clarity on the Rezound seems to be very good, and that's its main purpose. The 4G network is fast, which is great for random surfing and stuff, but I have a laptop if I want to do major tasks. The cam is wonderful, but I have camera if I know I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures at an event or something. This thing can definitely hold me over in the mean time. Music? Videos? Cmon the screen is awesome, but I'm not going to watch full movies on this small thing or carry around my entire music library for constant listening.

At this point, I think the only thing they need to really improve on phones is the battery life and service time. If the Rezound could last me a full day or a little more with heavy use, plus live on for 3-4 years, it'd be perfect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones