• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Goeth on in Your neck of the woods?

Apparently its something to do with being hydrates and coffee is bad for hydration.

yeah i do not know where that myth comes from. i always have either water or gatorade......hydration is what you are really fighting when you are hungover. but exhaustion is also part of it as well. i guess that is where the caffeine comes from.

Upvote 0
Ditto that, Danny! Good news for you: a new dna tool approved to identify leftover boneage out at the abandoned OTD Farms....might be able to locate and rescue you! I am volunteering on the search teem! How the heck is your New Year buddy! Hope its fun and relaxing! Chat later big guy!

Well you managed to confuse me already this year :p

Poor boy is still stuck in a Halloween thread..

Just smile.. Throw him a treat.. and move on.. He is harmless

Upvote 0
I should be sleeping at the moment however it would seem that being wide awake at 2:30 in the morning is more important than getting sleep :p On a good note I had a date night with the wife last night and it was quite fun. We went to dinner and then the movies. We saw The Hobbit in 3d and well all I can say is awesome. It was a great movie and a good experience to watch it in 3d. Its the first time I've seen a 3d movie in almost 30 years. (the last being Jaws 3d) it was an expensive night out but very much worth it in the end. We haven't had a date night in over a year so in that aspect it was very nice to just get away from our norm and enjoy each other. Sorry but I really didn't even think about the site until after the night out when I came in here briefly just to see what was going on and I must say not much at the time interested me.

Upvote 0
feeling a little blue. this is why i hate having too much time to myself.

I hear ya well don't let it get ya down. life is way to short for that

thats what probably got her feeling down...

life is so short and not enough time to do all you want.. and how far have we gotten down our things-to-do in life.

Upvote 0
I really enjoy 3D, but the wife isn't really a fan (and like you said, EXPENSIVE!).
What I do like now, is seeing movies at the IMAX even if not in 3D. We saw TDKR at one of the Smithsonians (wait, it's a museum? :thinking:), and it was awesome! :)
Going to see Django Unchained today, can't wait!

That was a really good evening you've had. Thats a good "Goeth On"!

Upvote 0
I have ton's of graphic files and trying to straighten them out is a lot of work. I am setting everything up by size and type so like if its a fantasy picture it's in a folder called fantasy and then in a folder that corresponds with its Width x Height. Mostly the WxH is new as I have been having trouble with setting up pics for wallpapers as they tend to be to small or way to big. I figured this system would help eliminate that.

Upvote 0
I have ton's of graphic files and trying to straighten them out is a lot of work. I am setting everything up by size and type so like if its a fantasy picture it's in a folder called fantasy and then in a folder that corresponds with its Width x Height.
How are you going about doing this? I'd do it using a combination of bash scripting plus ImageMagick commands. I process thousands of image files using this method and have saved incalculable hours...days!...over doing the same thing manually (or via a GUI :eek:).

Upvote 0
I have completed the first one manually. I thought of a program to do it but I don't know anything about programming outside of vb6. That won't do me much good as this is a Linux machine :)

I've first ran Fslint to remove any duplicates that I may have. ( Great program unless the duplicates are of different sizes or something else is different) I then set up my folder structure and started *gulp* drag and drop. took me all day to do the one folder :eek: I did find a few duplicates and was able to eliminate them.

If you have a better way then by all means share :D

Upvote 0
If you have a better way then by all means share :D
Hey, we're Linux users! Of course there's a better way! Or two. Or three. Or... :laugh:

I have completed the first one manually. I thought of a program to do it but I don't know anything about programming outside of vb6. That won't do me much good as this is a Linux machine :)
Do you do any bash scripting? How are you at a command line? Pretty comfortable? Are you at all familiar with ImageMagick?

I've first ran Fslint to remove any duplicates that I may have. ( Great program unless the duplicates are of different sizes or something else is different)
What are you basing "duplicates" on? Name? Size? Size in pixels? Size in bytes? Date? Any/all of these can be ambiguous.

I then set up my folder structure and started *gulp* drag and drop. took me all day to do the one folder :eek:
Which is why I'll *NEVER* be a full-blown GUI user! :D I can do in seconds or minutes at a CLI what takes hours or days in a GUI.

I am setting everything up by size and type so like if its a fantasy picture it's in a folder called fantasy and then in a folder that corresponds with its Width x Height. Mostly the WxH is new as I have been having trouble with setting up pics for wallpapers as they tend to be to small or way to big. I figured this system would help eliminate that
How about adding their dimensions to their names instead? In other words, instead of having:

Code:
fantasy1 (a directory)

. fantasy1_3000x3000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy1_3500x3500 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy1_4000x4000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

fantasy2 (a directory)

. fantasy2_3000x3000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy2_3500x3500 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy2_4000x4000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

you could have:

Code:
. fantasy1 (a directory)
.. picture1_3000x3000.jpeg
.. picture2_3000x3000.jpeg
.. picture3_3000x3000.jpeg
.. picture1_3500x3500.jpeg
.. picture2_3500x3500.jpeg
.. picture3_3500x3500.jpeg
.. picture1_4000x4000.jpeg
.. picture2_4000x4000.jpeg
.. picture3_4000x4000.jpeg

. fantasy2 (a directory)

The files could be renamed however you like, for example, 3000x3000_picture1.jpeg or picture1_3000.jpeg, etc.

Combining bash commands with ImageMagick commands, all of the above could be accomplished quickly. IM has a zillion options, literally infinite when you're combining them, and there's definitely a learning curve, especially if you're not already pretty comfortable at a command line with basic *nix usage.

Using IM's identify command, here's an example of it determining an image's attributes--only the attributes I told it to identify, its width and height:

Code:
$ identify -format "%wx%h" pg7.png
638x877

Taking that output and using a little bash and a little IM, you could rename the files so they include the dimensions in their names.

Like I said, there's definitely a learning curve, but I can't stress strongly enough how useful IM is once you're used to it. I'd be lost without its power and versatility. I can literally process hundreds of image files, in any number of ways, in a VERY small fraction of the time it would take to do it manually. Take a look at ImageMagick, including some of its options to see how powerful it is.

Upvote 0
Hey, we're Linux users! Of course there's a better way! Or two. Or three. Or... :laugh:

Do you do any bash scripting? How are you at a command line? Pretty comfortable? Are you at all familiar with ImageMagick?

What are you basing "duplicates" on? Name? Size? Size in pixels? Size in bytes? Date? Any/all of these can be ambiguous.

Which is why I'll *NEVER* be a full-blown GUI user! :D I can do in seconds or minutes at a CLI what takes hours or days in a GUI.

How about adding their dimensions to their names instead? In other words, instead of having:

Code:
fantasy1 (a directory)

. fantasy1_3000x3000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy1_3500x3500 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy1_4000x4000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

fantasy2 (a directory)

. fantasy2_3000x3000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy2_3500x3500 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

. fantasy2_4000x4000 (subdirectory)
.. picture1.jpeg
.. picture2.jpeg
.. picture3.jpeg

you could have:

Code:
. fantasy1 (a directory)

. fantasy2 (a directory)

The files could be renamed however you like, for example, 3000x3000_picture1.jpeg or picture1_3000.jpeg, etc.

Combining bash commands with ImageMagick commands, all of the above could be accomplished quickly. IM has a zillion options, literally infinite when you're combining them, and there's definitely a learning curve, especially if you're not already pretty comfortable at a command line with basic *nix usage.

Using IM's identify command, here's an example of it determining an image's attributes--only the attributes I told it to identify, its width and height:

Code:
$ identify -format "%wx%h" pg7.png
638x877

Taking that output and using a little bash and a little IM, you could rename the files so they include the dimensions in their names.

Like I said, there's definitely a learning curve, but I can't stress strongly enough how useful IM is once you're used to it. I'd be lost without its power and versatility. I can literally process hundreds of image files, in any number of ways, in a VERY small fraction of the time it would take to do it manually. Take a look at ImageMagick, including some of its options to see how powerful it is.

awesome but i cheated some and had a friend help me with a bash script that uses exiftool

[HIGH]#!/bin/bash
#
#-----------------------------------------------
# organized pictures by resolution
# 9to5 - AndroidForums.com
#-----------------------------------------------
#
# Note, this script uses exiftool to find the picutre width/height
# and it will only work with one file type at a time (so far)...
# if you want to change the file type (to say, png) then change the
# *.jpg to *.png in line 17

# set dir to your picture directory
dir=./
typ=$1

# file type change here
for line in $(ls *.$typ)
do
psize=$(exiftool $line | grep "Image Size" | cut -d ":" -f 2 | cut -d " " -f 2)
# That will give use the resolution of the file... example : 900x600 as variable psize
ls $psize 1>/dev/null
ls_check=$?
if [[ $ls_check -eq 0 ]]
then
mv $line $psize 1>/dev/null
else
mkdir $psize
mv $line $psize 1>/dev/null
fi

done

#unset variables
unset {line,psize,ls_check}[/HIGH]

it has a few flaws but does work maybe we can come up with something. At moment filenames with spaces are a no no so i'll have to rename those that have spaces in them. Also as you can see can only do one type at a time still much faster than the manual way i did the first one.

on the fedora site my signature is Command Line Flunkie Gui Junkie

I wish to change this :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones