• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what I want to do.

gargoyle725

Apr 14, 2011
fl
OK so I am thinking about rooting my old phone, but not sure if there is a need or if I can. I propbably should have researched prior to getting a new phone.

Basically I want to be able to use my phone as picture viewer and gps. Also use it on wifi if possible. I would like to be able to run my mapmyride app on my bike then upload when home on wifi. Is that possible?

My other problem is I didnt download the apps mentioned in the tutorial before ending my service is it still possible to root?

I'm pretty sure without service u r out of luck using GPS...using it as a mini tablet is good to go, I have several androids that are wifi only...want free wifi calls get a Google voice number and talkatone... simple...u may be able to use network based location instead of GPS but I haven't tested it so I'm not sure...I'm a big fan of denying all apps from being able to access GPS...

Upvote 0
Unless you have a forever wifi signal then pretty much nothing you can't do with the phone except use it as a camera with either Dropbox or Google drive to save photos or use it as an mp3 player for music downloaded onto your sd card. Pretty much cannot function without a stable reliable network unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Unless you have a forever wifi signal then pretty much nothing you can't do with the phone except use it as a camera with either Dropbox or Google drive to save photos or use it as an mp3 player for music downloaded onto your sd card. Pretty much cannot function without a stable reliable network unfortunately.
i guess no ones city is like mine, where almost everywhere u can get free wifi? every supermarket, most fast food, government buildings, home depot ect...has it here...look around youd be suprised how much free wifi is out there...i wouldnt even have to pay for service at all if i never traveled

Upvote 0
i guess no ones city is like mine, where almost everywhere u can get free wifi? every supermarket, most fast food, government buildings, home depot ect...has it here...look around youd be suprised how much free wifi is out there...i wouldnt even have to pay for service at all if i never traveled

Yeah depends where you are, my bad I didn't realize that you're from the city so yeah go for it. It shouldn't be much of a problem. But living in a rural area then it won't work.

Upvote 0
As long as you have a WiFi connection, you can do everything including making free phone calls using a VOIP app like GrooveIPLite.

GPS works without a data connection but for navigation you'd need an app with offline (SD-card) based maps (and you wouldn't get real-time traffic data). There are several such offline navigation apps both for driving and hiking in the wilderness. Of the free (open source maps) apps, so far I've tried Navfree, OsmAnd, and MapFactor Navigator. Navfree is my favorite since it's easiest it's the most intuitive, and easiest to input a destination based on your address book, street number of a house (unlike the other 2 apps), points-of-interest, etc.

If you're not traveling too far, you can even go into Google Maps and download pieces of their maps for offline use.

I have a spare Otpimus S and we have city-wide free WiFi in my town. So when I had an exchange student visit, I set it up with GrooveIP, set it up to access the city-wide WiFi, and I downloaded the Google Maps for my town so that the exchange student could navigate, call, web-surf, listen to SD-card-based music, Pandora, email, etc. (without me having to buy him a cellular service plan). Pretty sweet.

If only there were free WiFi everywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones