• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is it with 2gb RAM octa core phones? Slow, bad connection, no rotate?

A

Android Question

I have had two, actually 3, of them now. The first two were sony xperia aqua m4. The first one was RMA'ed and the second was just as laggy. I got infuriated and snapped it in half. They are very flimsy phones BTW. This one is a Blu studio one. Aluminum back should make it harder to snap. The things they have in common are similar spec and 1) poor reception, although the blu is better it still takes forever to connect and the quality of the connection likes to jump about even when still. Usually between 4g and lte. The sony would jump all over the place between e, h, h+, and lte. 2) The screen can sometimes take over a minute to rotate. My 1st gen moto g rotated instantly. WTF? That was the bottom barrel model too. And the hkme screen on the blu doesnt rotate. When I switch between a rotated program and the home screen and then to a new rotateable program it leaves the new program unrotated for a very long time. Maybe even multiple minutes. 3) There was more but I cant recall it at the moment.

I read it but didn't respond because it wasn't so much a question as a list of problems with 2 phones which I have no experience of (Blu don't exist over here). 2GB of ram and 8 cores are both commonplace features, so you can dismiss that as coincidence (the 2 handsets you name use different processors, and certainly the Snapdragon 615 used by the Sony is used in other handsets which don't have similar problems).

Reception problems are hard for the user to do anything about as they mainly depend on network or phone hardware (transceiver or antenna). Radio firmware in my experience doesn't make a huge difference, so for reception problems that aren't caused by a temporary network fault or a faulty handset the options are pretty much change phone or change network. You may get lucky and find a firmware update which does change the story, but as someone who has been messing with phone software since 2010 my experience is that I've never encountered this myself. I'm assuming you mean real reception problems (inability to maintain contact with the network) rather than showing fewer signal bars, since those bars don't mean much (there is no consistent meaning of 2/3/4 bars, and manufactures often "address" "reception problems" by tweaking how many bars are shown for the same signal level).

The UI rotation should be more amenable to software solutions, but without experience of either handset I can't really propose a solution.

So given that that is all I can contribute, I hope you'll see why I didn't respond earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: MLSS and mikedt
Upvote 0
Something is up because a lot of people have had this issue.

Maybe it's peculiar to specific markets? Like i said, it's not an issue I've come across.

BH seems to recognize it as an immediately returnable problem.

Dunno who/what "BH" is, but over here any such behaviour would definitely be grounds for on-the-spot replacement as it's obviously not functioning as designed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones