What is rooting and how do you do it?

Last Updated:

1. explosive

explosive Member This Topic's Starter

And how is it beneficial I don't really understand all this, I will be getting my vibrant in a day or two. And what is lag fix and stuff? :confused: Please explain in as much details as possible :D

Thanks ;D

PS, I can see the guides laying around on how to do it, but I don't understand them because I don't understand the terms that are used in those guides.

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

I don't have much time to go into detail, but I'll try to provide something of an overview.

Rooting is merely a process by which you gain greater access to the phone's OS. It will not make the phone faster and you will not notice any difference in the phone's operation by just rooting. The advantage to rooting is that it allows certain apps to do things they would not otherwise be able to do. The Vibrant is a very easy phone to root.

The Vibrant is somewhat infamous for having lag. Much of it has to do with the proprietary file system used by Samsung. I noticed this condition when my Vibrant was new, even before I ever heard of a "lag fix." Some say their Vibrants have no lag; most agree that there is enough lag to be an annoyance at one time or another.

People have developed workarounds for the lag; these involved manipulation of the phone's file system and overall are safe to use. The most popular lagfix is the "OCLF," available for free on the Market. There are more sophisticated lagfixes, most notably Voodoo, but until you are well-acquainted with your phone and have done a LOT of reading I strongly suggest you steer clear of it.

Learn about Odin. It can save your a** if you get into trouble and brick your phone.

Here is a good resource for you:

[REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)Rev2.2--Time: the 4th dimension--***(11/16/2010)*** - xda-developers

As for the OCLF, go here:

RyanZA's OCLF 2.0 - Android app on AppBrain

Ask questions before doing anything about which you are uncertain. Better to ask and possibly get flamed a bit than to brick your phone when it could be easily avoided.

Jason Pedersen likes this.
  3. droidtime

droidtime Well-Known Member

Would you still recommend Odin if I decided to use one of those 1-click root solutions + clockwork recovery? Asking because I've never even heard of Odin. Lol. I use an Evo and I'm going to root my friend's phone for him, and I was wondering if I can just 1-click root + CwM + flash a custom rom and kernel for him instead of having to learn Odin.

4. Jason Pedersen

Jason Pedersen Well-Known Member

Thank you Bovine for a GREAT write up. A lot of the info here is so disjointed that despite the enormous amount I've read, I'm still a little cloudy on details. I've always bee a learn by doing kind of person though.

Side note, I just gained Root access today. WOOT!! It was really very simple actually. Now to the fun.

5. ariella19

ariella19 Member

Does your phone need to be rooted to have oclf?

6. gibsonusa

gibsonusa Member

when you odin you are taking your phone back to the stock factory out of the box settings that you started with. I believe you do need to root your phone to install the oclf options.
    and good write up bovine. i dont wanna cloud what you said with my two cents, as im sure it couldnt put it as nice and would confuse folks. wish someone would have done as nice a job when i was learning the benefits of rooting and roms.