• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is THE iTunes for Android users?

Treasley

Lurker
Feb 11, 2012
First off I want to say I'm super excited to be jumping over to android and I'm really hoping for some direction. As of right now I'm fairly lost. My number one concern about switching to android is the lack of cut and dry/straight forward music buying/organizing (offline and online) and all in one syncing program. So for someone who wants as few programs and apps as possible for a seem less experience...

Is google music for the desktop a good sub for iTunes for someone moving to android and away from apple?

Basically I want to have my music organized on my desktop (and online) and be able to sync specific songs/artist/playlists to my androids SD memory, all like you can do with iTunes and iPhones. Easy and care free. Thanks.

First off I want to say I'm super excited to be jumping over to android and I'm really hoping for some direction. As of right now I'm fairly lost. My number one concern about switching to android is the lack of cut and dry/straight forward music buying/organizing (offline and online) and all in one syncing program. So for someone who wants as few programs and apps as possible for a seem less experience...

Is google music for the desktop a good sub for iTunes for someone moving to android and away from apple?

Basically I want to have my music organized on my desktop (and online) and be able to sync specific songs/artist/playlists to my androids SD memory, all like you can do with iTunes and iPhones. Easy and care free. Thanks.

Welcome, have you looked at Google Music? I've been using that and I have no problem with my music playback.

Upvote 0
I use MediaMonkey to organize and sync my music. It's the world's most powerful media organizer. However, it does not offer cloud sync nor can you buy music through it, it's purely for organization/synching.

Another thing you can do, that iOS users are not used to, is just copy and paste your tracks onto your phone and then organize them using your music player app.

As for Google Music, I can't comment on that because it's not available in my country.

Upvote 0
Welcome, have you looked at Google Music? I've been using that and I have no problem with my music playback.

I was thinking of switching over to that for both my desktop client and phone app. Can you sync to an sd card in a phone? And can you make offline playlists that install the music to that sd card. Basically how well does it compare to iTunes?

Upvote 0
With google music you can sync your music folders to a cloud & on your phone you can stream everything you have synced, as well as having the option to sync/download it to your sd card for offline use/listening. I don't so much use google music on my desktop to listen to music, I mainly use the desktop app to sync my music with my phone & well anywhere else I want to log in & listen( work, friends,etc.). Yes you can purchase (shop, as well as alot of freebies) & sync music as you were asking. Google music is pretty cool, you'll probably like it once you play around & get it set up to your likings. The cloud storage & streaming is great so you don't have to load up your sd or internal storage...
Go check it out & play around if you haven't already:
music.google.com

Upvote 0
I use GM on my PC during the day. Lots of free songs that I haven't bothered to sync to my phone. Works great, but does pause about every 3 hours asking if you're still listening... a bit a pain, but not much different from a Jango commercial.

RyanB I'm really liking the idea of google music. But how's the desktop client for offline playing? Also how is moving music and playlists to an sd card for offline playing on a phone .

Upvote 0
Another thing you can do, that iOS users are not used to, is just copy and paste your tracks onto your phone and then organize them using your music player app.
g.php

Upvote 0
The Android users I know (and myself) don't bother with syncing. Since our phones connect to our computers as drives, we just drag and drop what we want to listen to. I don't see the advantage of having a middle man handle my listening selections. Maybe the OP can try it without additional software and see how that works for him/her? The other options in this thread are probably excellent if a manager is desired after the experiment.

Upvote 0
The Android users I know (and myself) don't bother with syncing.
You don't know me, of course, but I am an Android user who syncs. There are a few advantages of this to me over drag-and-drop--mainly the playlists. I do have one manually created playlist, but most of my playlists are iTunes "smart" playlists that are created automatically, so drag-and-drop would just be more work... not to mention the only songs I want copied over are the ones I rated 4 or 5 stars. A bit difficult to drag and drop only those songs.

Upvote 0
I still use Itunes and sync using Tunesync - I made one large playlist to get the bulk of the music onto my phone it was easier than dragging and dropping eight gig of music one by one. Now I've loaded up the main music I only sync the daily haul of recorded radio stuff and whatever tracks I feel like doing acrobatics to that week.

I tried doubletwist and a few others but found Tuensync by far the easiest

Upvote 0
Ok well with all the input here, thank you so much by the way, I've decided to keep using iTunes (or use doubletwist for windows not sure yet) with either isyncr or tubesync. Now my issue is the music player on my android. The one I like best is doubletwist for android, simply because it does everything: music, radio, wireless to Xbox/ps3, and video. The fact it does all makes me happy. Can I use this app without the desktop program and with I syncr or does doubletwists syncing also sync exclusively with iTunes and playcounts?

Upvote 0
I simply do not understand the iTunes thing. I have no idea why anyone would want to use a slow sync when it's easy to just copy files to the device and be done with it. I buy .mp3 files, or rip them from my CDs, and just copy them to my phone, and I'm done. No DRM, no nothing. There is no way on earth iTunes or any other software can come up with playlists better than I can. I almost always just shuffle everything on my phone, but now and then I want specific music, and I just make my own playlists. If you want to pay Apple big bucks to do that, it's your money, but I have never paid them a cent for anything, and never will. Their earlier DRM policies convinced me to avoid iTunes at all cost, and I will continue to do so. YMMV.

Upvote 0
You don't have to understand the iTunes thing. Apparently drag and drop works just fine for you. Good. Don't use it.

For some of us, iTunes is great, though. I have some playlists I manually manage. But I also like the smart playlists that dynamically update. I can create a smart playlist for any song rated 4 or 5 stars that's between 2:00 and 4:00 long. I can create a smart playlist that has any song with the words santa, christmas, or snow in the title. I can create a smart playlist of any song I've played more than two times but haven't played in the last two months.

I also hate DRM. Even though the iTunes store hasn't had DRM since 2007, I never bought from the iTunes music store. I can still use iTunes, though. I get free songs from Jamendo and put them in iTunes. I buy non-DRMed songs from Amazon MP3 and they automatically get added to my iTunes.

Sync isn't slow at all. It takes me a lot less time to sync my playlists than to manually go through each song and drag and drop it over to copy.

To each her own, though. iTunes and syncing work fine for me. They don't work for you. No need to judge. If you don't like iTunes, I'm not going to try to convince you to use it. But you also don't have to understand "the iTunes thing." Those of us who use iTunes understand it, and that's all that matters. Use what works for you. Live and let live.

Upvote 0
This only works in USA, where you have ilimited data plans.

I assume you mean unlimited.

And no. In the music app you can mark songs to make them available offline and it will cache those to your phone so you do not use any data while listening. There is even an option to cache only over wifi and you can select to only show music that is available offline. So you can easily use this without ever using any data.

Upvote 0
With google music you can sync your music folders to a cloud & on your phone you can stream everything you have synced, as well as having the option to sync/download it to your sd card for offline use/listening. I don't so much use google music on my desktop to listen to music, I mainly use the desktop app to sync my music with my phone & well anywhere else I want to log in & listen( work, friends,etc.). Yes you can purchase (shop, as well as alot of freebies) & sync music as you were asking. Google music is pretty cool, you'll probably like it once you play around & get it set up to your likings. The cloud storage & streaming is great so you don't have to load up your sd or internal storage...
Go check it out & play around if you haven't already:
music.google.com

"We're sorry. Google Music is currently only available in the United States"

Well that's what I call a fail. Storing stuff in the cloud might be OK, as long as you can get to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones