• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What should I do?? What would you do.

Chief714

Aug 12, 2010
I have had my Cap since September. Replaced my first one within my 30 days cuz it was acting funny. Up until about a week ago it was fine. Then it just started resetting itself until it finally wouldn't turn on anymore. Now, I've literally had my phone replaced 4 times in a week. I'm pissed. AT&T offered to put me in a new model and I'm not sure if I should. There isn't an equal to the Cap within AT&T for the android system. I was however considering a Winmo7 phone. What are your thoughts and opinions?

P.s. Please be nice

There is an HTC Inspire 4G, Motorola Atrix 4G and Samsung Infuse 4G all coming soon. I personally would hold out until the new android phones come out and grab one of those, and should see at least one if not more released by the first of march.

I did have a winmo 6.5 device for all of a week and sent it back. Some people love winmo 7 phones and others hate them.

Upvote 0
I am in the same situation. I am on my 6th Captivate (all affected by the random shutdown issue) and they offered me the Sony Xperia 10 as a replacement. The Captivate I currently have is doing OK for now but I don't have even the slightest confidence in this model any longer. I am waiting for the next wave of phones to be released and climbing up whatever support ladders are necessary for them to replace it with one of those.

Upvote 0
There is an HTC Inspire 4G, Motorola Atrix 4G and Samsung Infuse 4G all coming soon. I personally would hold out until the new android phones come out and grab one of those, and should see at least one if not more released by the first of march.

I did have a winmo 6.5 device for all of a week and sent it back. Some people love winmo 7 phones and others hate them.

+1, looks like the Inspire is being released as soon as Feb. 13th and the Atrix is supposedly due before February ends.

Upvote 0
Having a he'll of a time with AT&T. I hate them!

My replacement Caps keep resetting themselves randomly. The last one would just turn off.

I did not put the same apps. Well not all the same apps. On the replacements I only put on a task killer (by rechild) pandora and Facebook.

Tried to go thru the warranty over the phone. Reps (management included) told me I can NOT exchange for another model??? Frustration....

So far my newest replacement (#5) is doing ok with little minor glitches. I just don't know if I can wait for the atria if this starts cutting off. My wife's pregnant and due in a couple weeks. I can NOT miss that call..... I will sue the PANTS off of AT&T or at least try....

Upvote 0
I have had my Cap since September. Replaced my first one within my 30 days cuz it was acting funny. Up until about a week ago it was fine. Then it just started resetting itself until it finally wouldn't turn on anymore. Now, I've literally had my phone replaced 4 times in a week. I'm pissed. AT&T offered to put me in a new model and I'm not sure if I should. There isn't an equal to the Cap within AT&T for the android system. I was however considering a Winmo7 phone. What are your thoughts and opinions?

P.s. Please be nice

Don't. Windows Phone 7 is terrible, imo. Extremely limited. Stay with Android. I tried out the Samsung Focus and while the OS has a few positives, Android is much better (app selection, customization, & "completeness"). Probably an hour after I used the Focus, I knew I wouldn't keep it. I kept using it for a day, and switched back to my Captivate. Android has spoiled me. I definitely think it is the best OS, hands down (speaking from personal experience).

Upvote 0
Are you reinstalling the same apps on the replacements. Are you using any "Task killer" on any of the device. This isn't impossible to have problems with several devices, but highly unlikely.

Ps. You might need to consider getting something different if you keep having the same problems.

If you haven't read this yet, please do: At&t captivate shut down press release - xda-developers

Believe me, I know this is an extraordinary number of exchanges - I have experienced the pain firsthand. I do recognize the potential for (my) user error to be a factor in this equation but I refuse to believe that I am that grossly incompetent or have some sort of anti-Midas touch. Some have failed before I even got a chance to load any apps or personalize them in any way.

They just kept giving me refurbished phones that had the same issues. Every single phone they gave me had an IMEI that was within the range of those with "known issues." That said, my only choice was to take the replacement and hope it worked better than the one I knew was defective.

I installed Cognition 3.02 and 3.04 on my latest one and, knock on wood, it hasn't failed yet. Maybe I finally got a good one. Maybe the custom ROM did the trick. Either way, I don't care because they should have pulled the known defects out of the market instead of recirculating them through various DSCs so that I didn't have to exchange and rebuild my phone every 2 weeks.

This forum is full of people who have been affected by the random shut down issue and it has absolutely nothing to do with what apps they load or how they use their phone. Multiple replacements for a single user are not an uncommon occurrence.

PS - I have considered getting something different but I paid for the top-of-the-line model and refuse to take a step backwards because they made a crappy product. I stand my my plan to ride out the storm with this phone until the next batch of phones hits the AT&T market and switch it out then. Needless to say, Samsung will not be on my wish list.

Upvote 0
If you haven't read this yet, please do: At&t captivate shut down press release - xda-developers

Believe me, I know this is an extraordinary number of exchanges - I have experienced the pain firsthand. I do recognize the potential for (my) user error to be a factor in this equation but I refuse to believe that I am that grossly incompetent or have some sort of anti-Midas touch. Some have failed before I even got a chance to load any apps or personalize them in any way.

They just kept giving me refurbished phones that had the same issues. Every single phone they gave me had an IMEI that was within the range of those with "known issues." That said, my only choice was to take the replacement and hope it worked better than the one I knew was defective.

I installed Cognition 3.02 and 3.04 on my latest one and, knock on wood, it hasn't failed yet. Maybe I finally got a good one. Maybe the custom ROM did the trick. Either way, I don't care because they should have pulled the known defects out of the market instead of recirculating them through various DSCs so that I didn't have to exchange and rebuild my phone every 2 weeks.

This forum is full of people who have been affected by the random shut down issue and it has absolutely nothing to do with what apps they load or how they use their phone. Multiple replacements for a single user are not an uncommon occurrence.

PS - I have considered getting something different but I paid for the top-of-the-line model and refuse to take a step backwards because they made a crappy product. I stand my my plan to ride out the storm with this phone until the next batch of phones hits the AT&T market and switch it out then. Needless to say, Samsung will not be on my wish list.

Ditto! I'm looking forward to the new devices scheduled to come (Motorola, HTC . . . )

Upvote 0
Inspire should also have fast boot, turns on and ready to go in like 2 seconds flat.

I'm actually finding it quite more appealing than the Motorola Atrix 4G, just because I do envy those Evo owners. With the Inspire literally being the Evo for AT&T, I think I'm going to get that. Not to mention HTC has the best track record for updates.

Upvote 0
I would think at some point they would try to get you into a different device. I would wait until the coming soon Andoid phones are released and see what they can do for you.

Unfortunately... they will not. I've talked to SEVERAL managers both in person and over the phone. Apparently it's at&t's policy that if you have more than "3" replacements within the one year warranty, they will only send you to a local warranty store or you have to go to the manufacturer. Sigh... the warranty lady offered me one of 2 phones which were both downgrades. One was a dummy phone....the other the Aria... I just BOUGHT this phone 4 months ago... it's ridiculous that no one would do anything about it.
I found someone who wants to trade a Samsung Focus for my Cappy.... I'm seriously considering... I just can't have a non-working phone anymore. However... I'm very nervous about getting another samsung... sigh... I don't know what to do anymore.... I need a working phone.....

Upvote 0
Of the soon to be released models I'm getting an HTC Inspire. Although new to AT&T, it's a proven version of HTC's best model. I've got an EVO, it's nearly the same and it's been outstanding. I'm really looking forward to the Inspire with the newest version of Sense. The best, fastest & most fun UI yet.

Yawn. Except for the 4g it is basically the HD2, a two year old device, which the EVO was based on. HTC has become a major disappoint in the last year. This is coming from a devout HTC fan since 2000 when they introduced the iPAQ.

If you are going for last year specs then go with Windows Phone 7. Keep in mind the limited apps library and the Windows version of Apple control over your user experience. Not that I am knocking this sacrifice of control - I am okay, so far, with the Apple approach. But Win Phone 7 is the better of Operating Systems at this point. Better than Apple and iPhone. Yes, I said it !!! Better.

I would post this question on Win Phone 7 forum only because the responses are almost all going to be geared towards Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones