• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What time period is represented on OpenSignal maps?

Can anyone tell me the time period is represented in the OpenSignal maps? So for example if I'm looking at a map of "AT&T 2G/3G" crowdsourced coverage data, how far back is the data included on that map? Is it showing data from just the previous day? The previous week? The previous two weeks? Amazingly the author of this software does not discuss this, and I don't see any setting in the app that would let me select the time period I want to see. Thanks.

I believe it's the Jurassic time period...
LOL.
Open signal is open source and I believe is updated on a daily basis

I understand that the data may be updated on a daily basis, i.e. the information on the map might be augmented every day by new data from the previous day, but that does not answer my question. The question is: how long a time period is represented by the data on the map? Is it showing data from just the previous day? The previous week? The previous two weeks? I am trying to determine whether 3G has been turned off in my area already. If the data on the map represents for example, just data from the previous day, then the previous day's data (alone) might be an indicator of whether 3G was still on yesterday. But if the data on the map contains all the readings from the previous two weeks combined and there is still 3G data, then that would tell me only that 3G was still "on" as of two weeks ago. And if the map contains all the readings from the previous month combined then that would tell me only that 3G was still "on" as of a month ago, and so on. I wan to know the TIME RANGE represented by the map. Not only does OpenSignal not allow me to select that, it doesn't even tell me what time range the OpenSignal people have pre-selected for me.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
OpenSignal is primarily a speed test utility that includes the maps with carrier status info. But you're making a big mistake fixating solely on the map, just use the app for its primary function. Tap on that big Speed Test button and the app will use the cellular radio chip in your phone to check and analyze your phone's connectivity with your carrier's closest cell tower/access point. If there's no 3G connectivity in the resulting scan you just performed, you'll see that within seconds, and eventually that's going to be registered in the accumulated data being shown in the crowd-sourced map data.
OpenSignal depends on data it collects from app users. All the stats the app displays are based on that on-going, crowd-sourced info, not the packaged, market-based data that the carriers might provide. (Note that there is a fundamental weakness to this strategy -- in a densely populated area there will be more data from more users but in more sparsely populated area there will be very little to no users. So the map showing carrier data and local cell tower/access points can be quite useful in a larger city setting, but not so much in a more remote region.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones