• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What to do about "SIM network unlock PIN"

I am very surprised to see a weak answer like that from a 'moderator'.

The phone does not have a 'subsidy lock'. The phone has never been touched by a carrier, so it is not locked to a carriers SIM. I have verified that be trying both an AT&T SIM, and a T-Mobile SIM. They do not cause the pop up message.

This is some crappy thing that samsung just invented. It is some kind of region lock.

There is a sticker on the box that says the phone must register with an American carrier. I do not have that option, so I need the PIN or an appropriate hack.

Samsung online support denies it.

http://www.techview.co/2013/09/samsung-statement-galaxy-note-3-region-locking/

I tried to root the phone, but I only have access to one Windows machine and it never sees the phone (typical for Windows).

Upvote 0
The so called region lock is brand new. I never heard of it before. In fact most people on forums have never herd of it.

I have bought several phones in the USA and have never encountered this before.

There has to be a way to get the PIN out of those bastards at Samsung.

I do not own a Windows machine myself. Rooting is not an immediate possibility for me.

Upvote 0
I was able to reach someone, in the know, at Samsung (well she says she is in the know).

She told me to give her the IMEI and she will get me the PIN. I photographed the relevant bar codes and sent them. She says the phone is not authentic because the IMEI is not in their database. The interesting thing is why would someone put a lock on a fake phone?

Anyway, two other buyers have reported the same. I requested a claim with Amazon.

I will not need to root the phone. Cannot do it on my iPad anyway. I also will not be booting any of the redhat servers with Ubuntu. I am a linux professional, not a hobbiest. Haha : )

Thank you

Upvote 0
It's not a weak answer from the moderator, it's facts. Facts that you should have known about before buying the phone in the US and using it in Singapore, and then try to circumvent that lock by asking for hacks.

Unbelievable...

The answer was "weak" because it makes the assumption that I do not know about something simple and well known like a subsidy lock. The phone has a region lock, NOT a subsidy lock. The region lock is something just invented "yesterday" by Samsung, and is very different form a subsidy lock. Assuming I do not know the difference is an insult if anything.

For all I know there could have been a simple fix in the configuration menu. The most knowledgeable people on the NET, with regard to Android, are here, so naturally I would ask here! :thinking:

Back to the issue:

There is no precedence for this "dirty trick" Samsung has pulled on its customers. Samsung completely blindsided many customers. When you buy a car you naturally expect that it will come wheels. What if suddenly, and without warning, dealers stopped selling cars with wheels? What if you signed the deal and when you went to get into your car and you discovered that the wheels were removed while you were inside? What if some obscure sticker said "Wheels are for demonstration only and are not included"? :mad:

With regard to the phone I bought. If Samsung cannot verify the IMEI, then the phone is fake or might as well he fake.

All my phones were bought out of region. This is my first problem with it.

Upvote 0
There is no precedence for this "dirty trick" Samsung has pulled on its customers. Samsung completely blindsided many customers. When you buy a car you naturally expect that it will come wheels. What if suddenly, and without warning, dealers stopped selling cars with wheels? What if you signed the deal and when you went to get into your car and you discovered that the wheels were removed while you were inside? What if some obscure sticker said "Wheels are for demonstration only and are not included"? :mad:

With regard to the phone I bought. If Samsung cannot verify the IMEI, then the phone is fake or might as well he fake.

All my phones were bought out of region. This is my first problem with it.

Just read up on region locking, jeez, why...

I feel for you and this thing that has happened: Samsung on Region lock: you need 5 min of voice calls - GSMArena.com news

Upvote 0
I filed a claim with Amazon siting two issues:

Samsung says the IMEI is not in their database.
The seller did not disclose the region lock. He is, in fact, still selling the phones without any warning in the post.

Amazon denied it.

I appealed, and made it VERY clear that they do not want me showing up at their HQ demanding payment for my travel costs, etc.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a $39.95 unlock PIN and it worked!

I intend on getting a credit out of the seller.

No matter the outcome. He failed to disclose the fact that the phone was locked.

There are lots of dealers offering PIN codes for $10.00 but all of them either have very low trust ratings on Scamadvisor, or they only offer subsidy unlock PIN codes. Some claim they offer region PIN codes but still ask for the info on the carrier, so clearly they are not offering a region unlock PIN code.

Very few dealers offer real region unlock PIN codes.

Upvote 0
Thank you;

I bought it as a wedding gift for my Burmese wife. It took six months to get her visa. We flew to California, got married, and spent two weeks on a honeymoon. I had ordered the phone from Amazon prior to the trip so it was waiting for us. We returned to Singapore. That is when we used the phone for the first time.

Personally I had a bad experience with my GN1, that I bought in Germany, but she wanted a Pink GN3.

Upvote 0
The USA price is about $200 less than anyplace in Asia. Most Americans have no idea that they live in the worlds' best shopping mecca.

I have heard a lot of people that do this. You aren't the first person, nor the last, to suffer from region locking unfortunately.

Again though, enjoy the device, hopefully your wife liked the gift :)

Feel free to visit us again if you have any questions or concerns.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones