• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to do with my unlimited data plan?

Well, I called several different stores to see if they could/would do the manager workaround, and tried to play the switch-carriers card, but all to no avail. They're just not having any trouble selling these, I guess, so they weren't willing to cut any deals of any kind. :)

I opted for the full retail cost to keep the unlimited data. I have a feeling it'll be good to have in the future, but only time will tell. Regardless, thanks for the thoughts, everyone! Yet another example of how awesome the Android community is!

Upvote 0
Realize this thread started a couple weeks ago.

I also originally had the Unlimited Plan, and about 3 years back when I bought my first Android phone, a Verizon Galaxy S, the decision to drop the Unlimited Plan was a hard one. I held onto it for over a year, maybe two?

Then my daughter wanted to get a smart phone... That is where I had to really take the plunge into loosing my Unlimited Plan... I simply could not afford Unlimited on a single phone and pay full tilt for her smart phone even at the cheapest plan they offered. The wife's phone is plain vanilla, she don't want a fancy phone.

So, I went with the Share Plan
MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 3GB
$60.00 monthly charge
3 monthly GB allowance
$15.00 per GB after allowance

My daughter and I together rarely ever top over 1gB of data... There is so much WiFi around we rarely use VZW's data service.

Here is our data for the last 30 days:
Data: Gigabyte Usage gigabytes 3.000 (shared) 0.255 gb

3 weeks ago when I started talking to VZW's reps by phone, never use a store. I played my ace card to the hilt. 20 year customer (ya don't want me to leave do ya?), retired and on Uncle Sam's dime, etc... Need a replacement for my trusty but tired Galaxy 'S' but looking at T-Mobile who has a "Much better price sturcture".

Result? I got a $10 discount per phone for 18 months, the online VZW lady shopped the market place and sent me online to Best Buy where I got another $30 discount off the phone's price... tied of course to me taking on 24 month contract... Been with them 20 years, don't care about contracts... usually keep a phone 3 or 4 years before I upgrade again.

So far, the GS5 has been great... Don't regret that decision at all.

• On tethering, on the Galaxy 'S', I used FoxFi which works a treat. I installed it on the GS5 and works fine.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from an iPhone 4s and had the unlimited data plan. I very rarely went over 1.5GB as wifi is pretty much every where I go.

I really wanted the S5 but would need to give up the UDP unless I paid full retail for the phone. I heard about the 6GB plan for people with UDP from a place called go wireless which is a Verizon reseller. I went to a retail Verizon shop and asked about the plan. Was told only could get that plan if I went to edge program. No interest in that so I went back to go wireless. With the iPhone there was no way to upgrade to a S5 without dropping 600 clams on a phone if I wanted to keep my UDP

So I basically opted to keep my current plan at the same cost (84 and change) and the only thing that changed is I'm now on a 6GB plan which for my usage is more than enough. 450 minutes of talk is way more than I'll ever use and includes unlimited texting

600 bucks vs 200 seemed like a waste especially if the cost of my plan stays the same and my data won't ever approach 6GB

Now if I'm not mistaken if you are on a UDP with a 4G phone and order the S5 from Best Buys website all u need to do is replace the Sim card in the S5 with one in your current phone. Then activate the S5 online. Going to try this with my wife's Lucid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones