• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What was that App?

FYI for those who are curious, CityID is a pre-installed app that Verizon includes on most (if not all) of their handsets. Most ROM developers consider this to be 'bloatware' and will strip it out of the ROM. Or if you moved from Verizon to another carrier, it would likely not be pre-installed on a new phone.

Very useful until the 30-60 day trial ended and they wanted you to subscribe to the service. Unfortunately it still runs and uses data even when you are no longer subscribed to the service and being baked into the official firmware you couldn't (until ICS) freeze it or remove it without rooting. I think that is why I (most) considered it bloat.

Now this was 1+ year ago when I had my D2 so maybe it has changed. But that is the way I remember it.

Upvote 0
FYI for those who are curious, CityID is a pre-installed app that Verizon includes on most (if not all) of their handsets. Most ROM developers consider this to be 'bloatware' and will strip it out of the ROM. Or if you moved from Verizon to another carrier, it would likely not be pre-installed on a new phone.

Well alltel did it before vzw bought them out, just thought I'd throw that out there :p

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones