• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What will open RTF files?

If you want to keep the formatting (or most of it), and open the files in Android without any special application, you can change the files to HTML.

On my PC, I open the RTF files in OpenOffice, then save the files in HTML.

I also up the font size a bit. Then I put the HTML files in dropbox, and open the HTML files on the Android.

Upvote 0
I know this is kind of late but I thought I would go ahead and post it for those who might be looking still, I was having the same problem as you with a file in dropbox. I did not fully read the whole thread so I apologize if I repeat an answer someone already gave but I was just playing around with it and I renamed the file and all I did was change the the .rtf to a .doc and it converted itself perfectly. I also was doing this on my TF101 so I don't know if this could just be a tablet thing or not.

Upvote 0
I know this is kind of late but I thought I would go ahead and post it for those who might be looking still, I was having the same problem as you with a file in dropbox. I did not fully read the whole thread so I apologize if I repeat an answer someone already gave but I was just playing around with it and I renamed the file and all I did was change the the .rtf to a .doc and it converted itself perfectly. I also was doing this on my TF101 so I don't know if this could just be a tablet thing or not.

I tried converting to .doc, .html and a couple other things. Nothing worked.:dong:

Upvote 0
I came across this forum thru a search for an app to read rtf files on my android phone. I was shocked to see that this question was asked a year & a half ago & here I am w/ the same problem. What's up, Google?
Anyway, in case anyone else stumbles across this forum w/ the same question, I thought I'd post that I FOUND AN APP TO READ RTF FILES. Like someone mentioned above, so often w/ Google Play this happens by accident.
There were a lot of suggestions above. Some were too specific & not a solution for the original problem: the need to view & EDIT rtf files. So that eliminates readers such as CoolReader or Multireader. I never found an app called File Share in Google Play.
The other problem for me personally is I like free apps. So that eliminated Documento, Multireader, and DEFINITELY OfficeSuite Pro, which is $15! At $15, you better be writing my docs as well. But that's just me.
So, while browsing, I came across OfficeSuite Viewer 6. It's free, and I viewed my files beautifully. I haven't tried to do anything else yet, so I can only say that. This is a true and FREE solution. Yay! (I only wonder why that was so hard to find!)

Upvote 0
I sent my. rtf file to my Google drive. It opened it and let me edit and then saved in .pdf format. I'm okay with pdf since i can edit them no problem.

^Seems like a nice free solution to me. I so just downloaded a RTF file and just opened it in edit mode in OfficeSuite Pro.

2 options there, I'm sure there are plenty more options too.

Typed out using SwiftKey, only available for Android ツ :thrasher:

Upvote 0
Yeah, but still, would be cool to find something to view/edit RTF files on Android. :)

I know nuthin bout nuthin and not ashamed to say so....dunno anything bout dropbox, all i kinow is that i have google drive and uploaded all of my recipes on it but cant read them on my phone because they are rtf. so i got the Astro File manager, and nothing shows up when i try to pullo a doc, and i am even more confused that before.

should i just convert all my recipes to .doc or .txt on my laptop and then upload them?

you guys are great and i appreciate this forum soooo very much!

samsung galaxy s2

Upvote 0
I am an iphone user and had the same problem: how to open rtf in my device. I spent tons of hours asking for some answer. Finaly i found it: EVERNOTE. I know, this app is not a reader, BUT on my device it is the only one which reads rtf.
You coud try it on your android device (avaliable in android apps), just in case...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones