• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would I be giving up by switching from Inc to X?

Are you sure? Where did you see this? Everywhere I have seen has said it is dedicated. Shouldn't make a difference where it is, only that it has dedicated memory for the gpu to work with.

Thats interesting if thats the case with dedicated memory. Cuz that would mean the Snapdragon isnt doing that, even tho its a SoC. I think they are tho...Imma give Qualcomm the benefit of the doubt and say they doing it too...lol

Upvote 0
The number one reason the Droid X wouldn't work for me is the Exchange integration. If you use an Exchange email account I'd say Sense is almost a must if you are using an Android phone. Unless your company doesn't care about remote wipe, password, etc. The difference between Exchange with Sense UI and Exchange with stock Android is pretty big IMO. Even the N1s with Froyo don't appear to handle Exchange as well as Sense.

However, if you don't use Exchange I would say go for the X just to have the most recent phone and because of Sense it may be a long time until us Incredible users see Froyo.

Upvote 0
I heard the X was gonna have similar Exchange integration. And it will work with a Desktop ActiveSync app for USB syncing. Me and a BB user had a debate about Android phones not being able to do Desktop ActiveSync over USB.

At the X press conference one of the CEO's mentioned it. I dont know if the Inc will work with the Desktop ActiveSync too, but it should. And I dont know when its coming out.

This is all I can find about remote wiping: post 77
Motorola DROID X video overview Boy Genius Report

Page 2 - Motorola Droid X Is Full of Promise, Problems - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

The Droid X and Motoblur together support multiple Exchange mailboxes for e-mail, contact and calendar integration. The Exchange integration also supports a limited number of policies, allowing me to centrally require passwords and enforce password complexity on the Droid X via my Exchange 2007 (it also supports Exchange 2003) infrastructure. I also found that through Exchange I was able to successfully complete a remote wipe action on the device.
Motorola Droid X on Verizon is official: July 15th, $199 after rebate | Android Central

Someone that uses Exchange will have to get an X and test it out.

Upvote 0
I say it comes down to preference. I had the incredible and I LOVED it! I will miss he web pages fitting the screen when you pinch to zoom. I will miss The Sense IU. I will miss the nice speakers.
However, I know what I am gaining. I will love the camera. I will love the big screen. I will love the call quality for SURE (DInc's was horrible). The one thing I am excited about the most is the MOTO customizable widgets!!!! Thats right, Im a widget freak!!! I think that is going to be SWEAT.

Upvote 0
The number one reason the Droid X wouldn't work for me is the Exchange integration. If you use an Exchange email account I'd say Sense is almost a must if you are using an Android phone. Unless your company doesn't care about remote wipe, password, etc. The difference between Exchange with Sense UI and Exchange with stock Android is pretty big IMO. Even the N1s with Froyo don't appear to handle Exchange as well as Sense.

However, if you don't use Exchange I would say go for the X just to have the most recent phone and because of Sense it may be a long time until us Incredible users see Froyo.
I agree on this that vanilla android is far to incomplete on Exchange support. Found this out on our LG allys. It only syncs contacts and email meaning you have to use google calendar sync to get that exchange calendar to the phone. Sense adds calendar on our incredibles. However the Droid 1 had an apk to sync calendar too. I believe the X should get it too. Touchdown adds tasks and notes as I recall. Touchdown also allows opening of shared folder address books. You can do it on other phones too but it takes some tricks. We share address books with two way sync on Exchange.

Don't forget that the X also has an "underclock" feature of sorts built in to allow different power saving modes. The HTC has one mode where it decides when to scale the cpu back.

No flash lite on the X but full flash coming in Aug. The Inc has flash lite only regardless of what apks you add; It just ids as flash 10.1 but isn't really. It'll take a rom load to get flash 10.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones