• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What's the difference between buying from T-Mobile vs. Amazon or elsewhere?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all. I'm considering getting the S23 (regular), and I'd like to know if there are any benefits and/or drawbacks to buying an unlocked phone from Amazon vs. buying directly from T-Mobile.

Will it work the same? Are the ones from T-Mobile optimized to run on T-Mobile, or is that not a thing anymore?

Do I just need to put the SIM card from my S7 into the S23 to activate it? (Assuming it's even the same type. If it's not, what do I do?)

How else would T-Mobile know I got a new phone if I don't do it through them?

Thanks!

With a branded phone purchased from T-Mobile, the phone's firmware includes some T-Mobile-specific apps and services. By design the phone is intended to work primarily with T-Mobile's cellular service. With a carrier-unlocked phone, there is no carrier branding involved so the phone is more able to used on whichever carrier you choose to use. So the phone itself is the same but the firmware install is different -- i.e. those T-Mobile apps can't be Uninstalled, they're system-level, preinstalled apps.

A SIM card only contains your specific account info with whichever carrier you get it from. So a SIM card can be used in different phones when you want to stay with that same carrier, but if you switch carriers you'll need to switch to the SIM card provided by your new carrier.

Upvote 0
Hi all. I'm considering getting the S23 (regular), and I'd like to know if there are any benefits and/or drawbacks to buying an unlocked phone from Amazon vs. buying directly from T-Mobile.

Will it work the same? Are the ones from T-Mobile optimized to run on T-Mobile, or is that not a thing anymore?

Do I just need to put the SIM card from my S7 into the S23 to activate it? (Assuming it's even the same type. If it's not, what do I do?)

How else would T-Mobile know I got a new phone if I don't do it through them?

Thanks!

The biggest difference that I have noticed is, at least with the Samsung messages app, is that I no longer get a "read" confirmation for texts. Using an unlocked S22 Ultra on T-mobile. Other than that there is no carrier "bloatware" though you can install most T-Mobile apps if you need them.

T-Mobile can tell the difference in what phone is accessing it's network based on IMEI number which is unique to a single device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones