• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WhatsApp chat file; copy, edit and print????

Hello Forum,

I have a Samsung Core Prime mobile, which currently has a live WhatsApp chat file that I would ideally like to transfer to my Dell Laptop and duly print it out.

The objective is to have a file which I can view, edit, copy and print out.

Although I have tried to find a solution online, it seems somewhat problematic. Although the typical advice is to select the 3 dots (top right) then select Export chat, choice of with or without media, then having chosen with media; Initialising process, then ‘Send chat via: WhatsApp, Messages, Bluetooth, Memo.

I choose Messages and it responds - Unfortunately, Messages has stopped. Tried Memo, refers to email, offers to Save but I can’t find any trace of an email containing the WhatsApp chat???

Can anyone tell me how I can easily and safely (do not want to lose it) transfer/copy this WhatsApp chat file to my Dell Laptop in order to view, edit and print, please??

Thanks to anyone for considering this request.

Regards

CJL

Hello Forum,

I have a Samsung Core Prime mobile, which currently has a live WhatsApp chat file that I would ideally like to transfer to my Dell Laptop and duly print it out.

The objective is to have a file which I can view, edit, copy and print out.

Although I have tried to find a solution online, it seems somewhat problematic. Although the typical advice is to select the 3 dots (top right) then select Export chat, choice of with or without media, then having chosen with media; Initialising process, then ‘Send chat via: WhatsApp, Messages, Bluetooth, Memo.

I choose Messages and it responds - Unfortunately, Messages has stopped. Tried Memo, refers to email, offers to Save but I can’t find any trace of an email containing the WhatsApp chat???

Can anyone tell me how I can easily and safely (do not want to lose it) transfer/copy this WhatsApp chat file to my Dell Laptop in order to view, edit and print, please??

Thanks to anyone for considering this request.

Regards

CJL
I export the chat file in plain text (.txt) to either another chat (a friend) and then download it normally (since you send it to someone else, now you can download it from that chat) or to my myself creating a chat "loop" if you want to call it like that. For the second option, I have Whatsapp Desktop on my computer and then open an internet browser , type wa.me/+1xxxxxxxxxx where +1 is the country code for your own number (i.e. +1 is USA) and xxxxxxxxxx is your WA number with area code without spaces. It will open a chat to yourself and you can send yourself whatever (even I use it as notes to myself). Once in WA Desktop, send you a "dummy" text and it will appear also in your phone. Good luck.

Reactions: Hadron and mikedt
Upvote 0
You seem to have a very short list of apps you can export to. I just tried on my phone and it offered options including a PDF writer, different email apps (I don't know what "memo" is), upload to Google Drive or other cloud services, even a file manager (to choose where I wrote it to). The list of options can be scrolled, and on my phone ends with "more" which does what it says.

The simplest way is probably to save it to somewhere on the phone and then copy over USB (email is possible if it's not too large, but if there are a lot of media, or just a couple of short videos, it could be too large for that).

Reactions: KarmaHunter
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones