• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WhatsApp doesn't scroll down automatically when receiving new message

Hello Android Forums community,

Whenever I receive a new message on WhatsApp while I'm on the chat window chatting with someone, the chat dialogue doesn't scroll down automatically. So I could be waiting for a reply and meanwhile my friend has already texted me back several times. I have to touch the screen and scroll down to check if I received a new message.

This is especially frustrating when I'm sending multiple texts and he is replying to each of my texts but since whatsapp doesn't scroll down automatically, I only see a string of outgoing messages and once I finally scroll down I see that he has replied to each of my messages. Example:

[me] 10:45am Hi
[me] 10:47am What's up
[me] 10:49am Wanna hang out?
[me] 10:55am Are you there?

(I decide to scroll down)

[him] 10:46am Hey
[him] 10:48am Nothing much, just watching TV
[him] 10:50am Sure, where are you?
[him] 10:56am Huh? Yah I'm right here.

[me] 10:57am crap I didn't see your messages until I just scrolled down

OK so that's obviously dramatized. But that's pretty much what happens and it's annoying and I'm wondering if it's normal (it happens in all conversations).

I have a T-Mobile MyTouch 4G also known as HTC Panache in Canada. It's running on Android 2.3. I have the latest version of WhatsApp (2.7.9946) and always keep my apps up-to-date.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones