• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root when 904 rolls out...

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2011
When the 904 ota update is released (or any update for that matter) will i be able to take the update? Im rooted on eclipse right now but i have my stock rom saved in safestrap on the non safe partition. Can i just flash back to my stock rom defrost the bloat and apply the update?

Thanks

I'm going to guess the true answer is that know one really knows until an OTA actually happens. It doesn't appear that anyone has gotten .904 as an OTA, not even soak testers.

Just in general though im wondering how i would be able to apply an ota update if i am rooted. Can i just go back to stock defrost the bloat and apply the ota update?

Upvote 0
When the 904 ota update is released (or any update for that matter) will i be able to take the update? Im rooted on eclipse right now but i have my stock rom saved in safestrap on the non safe partition. Can i just flash back to my stock rom defrost the bloat and apply the update?

Thanks

That's pretty much what we've done with every other update, although I did apply one at one point without unfreezing.

I'm going to guess the true answer is that know one really knows until an OTA actually happens. It doesn't appear that anyone has gotten .904 as an OTA, not even soak testers.

True, but the safe, sure bet is to go stock, (rooted is fine, forever root is preferred, just in case) and unfreeze any bloat you froze, then let the update apply. It's the best way to minimize errors.

Just in general though im wondering how i would be able to apply an ota update if i am rooted. Can i just go back to stock defrost the bloat and apply the ota update?

That is the normal procedure. Read my replies above for specific.

Reactions: New Rising
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones