• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When changing SD Cards - how to preserve data/setup?

spottyelephant

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2009
Well, i'm starting to run out of space between music, photos, videos, apps etc. on my 8gb card, so Im thinking of upgrading it.

Question though - is it possible to just "mirror" my existing card on a new one? i.e. drag and drop EVERYTHING onto the new card so that when i pop it into the phone again, neither the phone nor any app will notice any difference except that there's now extra space on the card?

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have a spare card to try it and post here whether it works??

I just REALLY couldnt be bothered reinstalling everything and manually copying select photos and videos etc. I just want a massive dump :)p)

Cheers

Yep, just using a card reader and doing the ol' copy-pasta will work on 2.1 handsets.

I'll just say for no hassle, shut down the phone and do the swap completely before booting it up. Don't restart without the mirrored card installed.

Now the big question, how does this work with apps installed to cards on 2.2?

Reactions: spottyelephant
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones