• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When do Samsung update to the latest version of android?

freeman30

Lurker
Jul 15, 2013
Hi, I'm looking into getting an android tablet to replace my iPad and am particularly interested in the Samsung galaxy note 10.1. I'm just curious to know how long it takes Samsung to update to the latest version of android? I've seen that jellybean has been out for 8 months or so, but the note 10.1 is still running ice cream sandwich. I understand that they have to work on their own overlay to make it compatible with whatever version they are updating to. But I'm wondering how long they will do that until they decide to leave it at a version and no longer update it?

Welcome to the forums, freeman30!
AFAIK, the Note 10.1 is already running Jelly Bean. It was launched with ICS, but has since been upgraded. Samsung has gotten much better with upgrade cycles, but as you say, with their Touchwiz UI, it takes considerably longer than other devices.
If being on the latest version of Android is so important, I'd take a look at Nexus tablets or if rooting is an option, you can often install a custom ROM based off of the latest Android update.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Hi all, thanks so much for the responses. You are right, it is running jellybean... It's just misleading because I was looking on the pc world website as well as Argos, tesco direct etc and they all say that it's running icecream sandwich. I'm just happy that its running the latest version. Really liking the look of it, but not 100% sure.

I know this is going off topic, but is there any way of syncing it with iTunes? A few years ago I had a htc desire and there was something called double twist (not sure if it's still going) but I didn't find it that good, it would sync the music, but if you remove music from your iTunes library, it would still stay on the phone. Any ideas/suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones