• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When updates are available...

What do you do when a new software/firmware update is available for your apps/phones?

• Install it immediately.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • See what new features it has and install it if I want the new features.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Wait a while to make sure the update is stable for others before installing it.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Nothing. I can't be bothered.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
What do you do when a new software/firmware update is available for your apps/phones?

1. Install it immediately.
2. See what new features it has and install it if you want the new features.
3. Wait a while to see how it works for other people and only install it if it looks like the update is stable.
4. Nothing. I can't be bothered.

By the way, you can check more than one item if you want to.

Supposedly my Inspire is supposed to be getting gingerbread tomorrow. For a while now i've been saying I want to wait a while and see how it goes for everyone else once it's available, seeing some people say they had problems after GB update on DHDs and Evos.

But I'm going to be sitting in my office all day tomorrow with nothing to do, basically waiting around on a bunch of electrical contractors to finish up some stuff, it's not going to be easy to find something else to do.

Updates for apps, I've kind of learned my lesson there with a couple apps i really liked that started to suck after updates or one that completely broke. Through a lot of searching and using google translate i was able to track down apks for old versions of those. Now I make sure to make a backup apk with es explorer of apps I like. So I'll do those immediately now.

Upvote 0
OTA Updates for the Desire HD have not been without their issues (although I've never had any problems) so I'd probably wait until a few users have installed and tested before I update now.

That being said, I'm running a custom ROM so it's not really an issue. If the ROM is updated, the same principle stands, I'll probably wait until a few folk have installed the update before I will.

Upvote 0
I've had a bad experience with an update a few months ago. I tend to be wary of updates. I have a number of apps that I haven't updated since it doesn't have any features that I wanted. I'm holding out on updating Google Maps as one time, it caused issues locking on. Later, I finally got an update that resolved those issues, so I'm sticking with it for now. I think I may have only got one Google Maps update since.

Gmail broke FriendCaster notifications, so I'm holding off on both until I can verify that one or both of these app developers can sort things out. I don't want to lose a feature that I paid for. Also, I'm pretty happy with Gmail as is, and the new features don't interest me enough to lose Facebook notifications (that actually work).

Gingerbread should be available soon for my Desire Z. I know many people are anxiously waiting for it. Due to some bad experiences in updating, I'm wary of getting Gingerbread. I got the last Desire Z firmware update. It fixed some things, but caused other issues. So far, there isn't anything in Gingerbread that seems to be a must have for me. I'm certainly going to wait a while for the dust to settle before updating my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones