• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where do the Video files go?

wiggla

Lurker
Jun 5, 2010
I've seen many Batman and other HD movies played on the EVO or streamed from the EVO to a television, but I can't access video files I put on the sd card; they just don't exist (similar problem with music). So, one file was mkv, and the other was avi/windows movie file. Neither show up and I've moved their locations around in various folders in the directory. What am I missing? This is my first Android phone.

Thank you very much for the response. I did create a "Video" folder in the main directory of the sd card, where there were a bunch of folders with odd names (.bookmark_thumb1, agilefusion, HTC sync, etc.). When nothing worked I began to wonder if I placed the folder into the wrong directory. There were 2 files, a mkv and an avi but neither showed up. It's weird because some claim it plays avi but others leave that file extension out of the supported formats; whatever. I will now use a ripper software to convert the files to .mp4, however, it seems there is a lot of setting changes required for it to work. I recall some EVO reviews claimed that no resolution changes were necessary.

Upvote 0
OK, so I found some mp4 files and transferred 3 to the phone. So now I know that I was correct in that all that was required was a folder in the root (misc.) directory. Now the issue is that only 1 of the 3 played the video-half of the file. This same file was also the only 1 of the 3 that I could see the movie image when it was highlighted; the other 2 were only a gray box. Is this because of resolution or some other encoding/file setting? Now that I know MP4 works I want to know what would cause the loss of video but audio playback to remain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones