• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Where to Start

odatkid

Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Hi All,
I'm a newbie with Android and I don't know where to start. I read about "root" and haven't a clue what to do. I would like to take control of my LG Optimus M from Metropcs and set it up for my needs. This is my first smart phone and I'm truly lost. I don't know how to load an app but it appears that if I can get a barcode scanner app installed then I would be able to install other apps easily. I just figured out how to install the LG USB drivers on Win7 and can now see my my phone's card when using the USB cord in my computer. I was able to drag BarcodeScanner3.53.apk and z4root.1.3.0.apk on to the 2Gb card but haven't a clue what to do next.

Any and all help is appreciated.:thinking:

The following folders are on the card also: .android_secure; Android; DCIM; Attachments; Blue Tooth; Handmark; z7logs; LOST.DIR and a demo.nimlog (0 bytes)

Thanks in advance.......Tom

You should use the Market app to install most apps. If you install them manually then you will not get updates. The z4root is not available in the market however. To load an app on the card you need a file viewer app such as Astro, which is available on the market. I also sometimes use Appbrain to find apps. It and barcode scanners ultimately take you to the Market to download an app.

Upvote 0
Since you are not familiar with what you are doing yet, I suggest that you take some time and learn the Android system before rooting it and trying to make changes. You could end up with a nice LG paperweight. Also, have you verified that you are on 2.2 and not 2.2.1? If it is 2.2.1, then it is going to be a much more difficult process to root because you first need to downgrade it to 2.2.

Read these forums. Most of the questions you could come up with have already been answered.

Upvote 0
If you install them manually then you will not get updates.

Please take note:

You will not get any update if you modify the apk, if you do, the Android system will detect the change and erase the apk. Also, if you resign the apk with a different keys, the apk will remain on the system but will not receive updates from the market because it is not signed with the original apk owners private keys.

th_v00017-2.png

Upvote 0
Since you are not familiar with what you are doing yet, I suggest that you take some time and learn the Android system before rooting it and trying to make changes. You could end up with a nice LG paperweight. Also, have you verified that you are on 2.2 and not 2.2.1? If it is 2.2.1, then it is going to be a much more difficult process to root because you first need to downgrade it to 2.2.

Read these forums. Most of the questions you could come up with have already been answered.

Thanks UKCatFan,
I am on 2.2.1 and have been reading some posts about taking control of my phone (root) and I may as well be reading Greek. Hopefully someone can simplify this for a novice like me in the future. Would LOVE to take control of my phone:thinking:
Thank you again for the responses..........Tom

Upvote 0
You should use the Market app to install most apps. If you install them manually then you will not get updates. /QUOTE]

Is this true? I have a newbie friend I was going to help by emailing her like a dozen apps attached to an email. She could open the email on her phone and install the apps. (I've already installed them myself...)

She has to install them through the market -- or because I downloaded them from the market (weeks ago), they are OK?

Upvote 0
You should use the Market app to install most apps. If you install them manually then you will not get updates. /QUOTE]

Is this true? I have a newbie friend I was going to help by emailing her like a dozen apps attached to an email. She could open the email on her phone and install the apps. (I've already installed them myself...)

She has to install them through the market -- or because I downloaded them from the market (weeks ago), they are OK?

I am certainly no expert, but I have read this a few times. I read that the Market app is what actually keeps the updates current, not the app itself. So, if you install manually then your market app has no knowledge of you installing it and will therefore not ever look for updates. You "might" be able to use Titanium Backup to then link it to the market, but I am not positive and Titanium requires root access. If they are free apps, I suggest sending your friend the barcodes to the apps instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones