• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where's the best place to buy the Incredible?

Yup, 100% true. Never on phones, just the plans and accessories. We have it and it's confirmed.

Not 100% true. While the term discount may not be true, the price for corporate phones may be lower due to negotiated prices for personal phones.

My company, for example, had prices on blackberrys and most smartphones well below verizon online and store prices. Unfortunately that was 1 and 2 years ago... current corporate online prices for personal phones are for the most part inline with the verizon online price (if any lower within $20 of price). 2 years ago the $200 blackberrys on the VZ site were only $50 for my corporate price... now the droid is $179 as opposed to $199 but its cheaper for me to get it with my NE2 or go elsewhere online. A lot of the discounts are in place of the "VZ online discount". I did however talk to a rep and if buying in store it negates the need for a mail in rebate.

This is the 3rd company I've worked for that has cheaper negotiated phones for personal phone purchases.

Upvote 0
Not 100% true. While the term discount may be true, the price for corporate phones may be lower due to negotiated prices.

My company, for example, had prices on blackberrys and most smartphones well below verizon online and store prices. Unfortunately that was 1 and 2 years ago... current corporate online prices are for the most part inline with the verizon online price (if any lower within $20 of price). 2 years ago the $200 blackberrys on the VZ site were only $50 for my corporate price... now the droid is $179 as opposed to $199 but its cheaper for me to get it with my NE2 or go elsewhere online.
Yup. I've paid retail for my last several phones. In all cases, full retail was cheaper than the corp price. I get a 20% discount on accessories, but that is completely seperate from corp pricing. I should have clarified that there is a destinction between corp discount (which is for accessories) and corp pricing.

Upvote 0
I had this exact concern.

I spoke with Amazon.com's wireless division and they said that you basically sign a contract online, but the actual number porting and activation is done once you receive the phone at home.

You have the option to do that yourself over the phone with Verizon or in a VZW store.

They had no info on the date/price for the incredible, but i had them run the numbers for a droid.

new 2 year contract, $19 initial cost. Free overnight shipping, no activation fee.

They also said that corporate discounts are ABSOLUTELY applicable, you just need to either sign up online or fax verizon a copy of a paystub or ID badge.

As far as the Corporate Discount goes, that's not quite right. Yes, you do sign up online or download the form and fax it with a paystub to VZW to get the discount, what they're not telling you is that it usually takes 1-2 billing cycles before that corp discount is applied to the account.

Oh, yes. There are the occasional exceptions, but for the majority of folks, it's not something you're going to see applied to your first bill.

Upvote 0
Yup, 100% true. Never on phones, just the plans and accessories. We have it and it's confirmed.

The last 2 Verizon phones I've purchase with my corporate discount program have gotten me pretty nice deals on phones.

As far as the monthly plan discount, you can do that on the Verizon website after you have your contract if you want. As was mentioned, it might take a billing cycle or two, but that's not something you have to do at activation (although obviously the sooner you do it the better).

Upvote 0
As far as the monthly plan discount, you can do that on the Verizon website after you have your contract if you want. As was mentioned, it might take a billing cycle or two, but that's not something you have to do at activation (although obviously the sooner you do it the better).
And you won't get billed activation? Or.. you have to do it soon enough so that you don't get billed? I assume they won't credit you if its already billed?

I'm leaning towards getting it from Verizon online. Whats the return policy? Can I return to a store or do I have to ship it back and pay return shipping?

Upvote 0
And you won't get billed activation? Or.. you have to do it soon enough so that you don't get billed? I assume they won't credit you if its already billed?

I'm leaning towards getting it from Verizon online. Whats the return policy? Can I return to a store or do I have to ship it back and pay return shipping?

I've always gotten free activation for my phones. Not sure if the first time was because of my corporate plan or because I was chatting with the guy at the store enough that he was cool and just hooked me up. Second time was a contract renewal, so there wasn't an activation fee. Sorry I can't help you out with that one.

Not sure if you can return a phone purchased online to a store, but return shipping is free for stuff bought on the website. I'm planning on buying it online so I don't have to deal with the mail-in rebates. Instant > waiting 6-8 weeks.

Upvote 0
Any idea where the best deal on a retail Incredible will likely be? GF's Eris got wet (works but she is considering a new phone) and it's only a few months old. I assume the only place to get the Incredible and use a corporate discount is directly from Verizon. If it's $599 and we get a 20% discount that would make it $480.

Upvote 0
I can answer the questions about VZW support for phones purchased elsewhere. Basically in the first 30 days you deal with whoever you purchased the phone from. So if for example you purchase a phone from an indirect dealer and after a couple weeks it stops charging, you go back to them to have it replaced. This also applies to different channels within VZW. If you purchase a phone online and have it Fedex'd, in the event of a problem, they'd ship you a replacement and you'd ship back your old phone.

After the first 30 days, you can get warranty support for phones purchased elsewhere at direct (corporate) locations. The 30 day cutoff also comes into play with what type of replacement you get. In the first 30 days, dealers should offer a brand new phone as replacement. After 30 days you would receive a Certified Like New Replacement. CLNR phones are often refurbished, but in the case of a new model, more likely a new phone packaged without all the extras. I hope this clears things up a bit.

TLDR version: First 30 days, serviced where purchased, after 30 days, also serviced at any corporate store

Reactions: graygranite
Upvote 0
Is there any benefit from buying either pre-order or from Best Buy rather than just going to a VZW store the morning of the 29th?
The only advantage I see is if they are sold out in store on the 29th, yea your screwed.

But otherwise, if you buy from say Best Buy, and you have any phone problems later, do you have to take it to them or can you just go to a VZW store?
Sorry, not sure if you HAVE to buy at a VZW store to get their warranty/fixes/answer questions.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone-
So, I still don't get the whole hype over pre-order for this (Sorry, maybe I'm over analyzing!)
Is there any reason "better" to pre-order the phone online with VZW or at a BB store on the 19th vs. just going into your local VZW store on the morning of the 29th?
Is it fear that the phone will be sold out already on the 29th? That's the only reason I see to pre-order, unless I'm just missing something....
And any "advantage" of buying at BB vs. VZW brick store? Again, only see that they will take your NE2 $100 discount off the price on the spot instead of VZW's mail-in rebate. Which really doesn't matter to me honestly. Either way I'm only paying $199 for it initially or in the long run after rebate.

Thanks in advance! :)

Upvote 0
Hi everyone-
So, I still don't get the whole hype over pre-order for this (Sorry, maybe I'm over analyzing!)
Is there any reason "better" to pre-order the phone online with VZW or at a BB store on the 19th vs. just going into your local VZW store on the morning of the 29th?
Is it fear that the phone will be sold out already on the 29th? That's the only reason I see to pre-order, unless I'm just missing something....
And any "advantage" of buying at BB vs. VZW brick store? Again, only see that they will take your NE2 $100 discount off the price on the spot instead of VZW's mail-in rebate. Which really doesn't matter to me honestly. Either way I'm only paying $199 for it initially or in the long run after rebate.

Thanks in advance! :)
I guess the pre-order is for people who can't make it to the VZN store for one reason or another (gas, laziness) and it'll be brought to you essentially. That or perhaps in some stores it might be sold out--maybe some low volume stores will only get 3-4 units. I really doubt the whole "sold out" part. There's no viral marketing for it yet so other than us, I don't think that many people know the phone even exists.

Best Buy usually takes care of all rebates for you (so Instant Rebate versus MIR with VZN). Some people just like their money back immediately instead of having to change a VZN Pre-paid card back into money (and envelope/stamp cost). I'm still not sure whether BB can do NE2, but I have NE2 and intend to use it... I wonder if I can do that with a pre-order.

Upvote 0
ordering online from verizon and getting it on 4/29 :) Don't have to deal with the mail in rebate and for some reason I just rather order it from verizon than BB or somethin. However, the closest VZ store to me is 45min away and the BB here doesn't sell verizon phones, it's a major ATT area... sooo don't have much of a choice!

Upvote 0
Is there any benefit from buying either pre-order or from Best Buy rather than just going to a VZW store the morning of the 29th?
The only advantage I see is if they are sold out in store on the 29th, yea your screwed.

But otherwise, if you buy from say Best Buy, and you have any phone problems later, do you have to take it to them or can you just go to a VZW store?
Sorry, not sure if you HAVE to buy at a VZW store to get their warranty/fixes/answer questions.

Thanks in advance!

there are a few advantages to Best Buy, you get the protection from them, the instant rebate, and support. They have been able to answer any questions you have as well as problems with the phones from my experience. Even if you don't get their protection, and you buy the phone there, you can still get it sent out for manufactuer warranty there too.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones