• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which are Enhanced?

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
According to my Device Manager, I have over twenty USB connections. They're all standard, but three are labeled 'enhanced.' I'm told that means they're actually running USB 2.0.

usb's.PNG

If that's true, that means I've had three USB 2.0 ports all this time! But how to I find out which three in real life? They all look the same. I think I know where two of them are, but just by guessing.

Isn't there a card er sumthin that lights up when I plug it onto a USB 2 port?

Basically anything that says "Enhanced" should be USB2.0, which is for host controllers. Any external USB ports on a recent PC or laptop should all be at least USB2.0. New machines should have USB3.0 ports now. However PCs have a lot of internal USB stuff going on, especially laptops, that's why you're seeing so many USB items listed, for things like sound, webcams, keyboards, trackpads, WiFi, Ethernet, SD readers, cellular wireless, etc. however not all of which requires USB2.0, e.g. HIDs, like keyboards, trackpads and mice, they use "Standard" USB1.0 AFAIK, then there's temperature and fan sensors as well, and probably other internal stuff connected via USB.

There's a lot more info here about it...
10 things you should know about USB 2.0 and 3.0 - TechRepublic

What PC have you actually got there, looks like a mix of Intel and VIA USB stuff. Is it a desktop and you've added a secondary USB board with ports to it, and you have a multi-card reader as well? - why it's showing so many mass storage devices and root hubs?

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
It's an '05 HP Media Center m7160n Desktop PC, regutted for W7HP and with two additional 3xUSB2.0 cards. The new ports cards live in back, where the 1.0 ports are, so I'm thinking that they're automatically downgraded. The two front ports advertise 'USB 2.0' but they sure don't act like it.

That's why I want a sniffer card; something that lights up red when receiving 2.0, green when 1.1... anything like that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones