• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Moto G do I buy to use on MetroPCS and choices 8GB /16GB LTE vs. HSPA+

I have what I think is an Important caveat here on this Lte Vs Not discussion.

IF you are considering a phone where both models are available, Be Damn Sure that HSPA+ gives you the speeds and signal quality you are expecting At Your Exact Location before you spring for the non-Lte phone. Don't believe Metro's coverage map or any of those sites that tell you just what some poster has or has not seen on his phone near your location. You need to SEE it work on a real phone with your own eyes first.

Here's why.

I got my N4 and switched over to GSM in January. My data speeds were Horrible. MUCH Worse than I was getting on my CDMA Spirit. Most of the time it was usable, but a lot of times I could not even get a page to load. There were also short periods I would drop to Edge speeds and even lose signal altogether. Needless to say, I was a Very Unhappy camper having just spent $210 on basically a brand new 4 month old N4 that still had the factory screen protector on it and also $10 more a month over my old CDMA payment. I never had these signal issues on CDMA and ALL coverage maps showed my location should have my N4 SMOKIN' with speed. Should ain't necessary Is. :rolleyes: (To make this very clear, there are 2 towers near me Both less than 1.5 miles away. My N4 Should Have Been a road flare speed wise.)

So, I set up my little pup tent backchannel on Faceplant with my Metro Mothership peeps. :D

(Now, you might axe why I just didn't leave Metro. Good Question. I Considered going over to AT&Sleeze Aio but the problem was I would for the same money as Metro only gotten 5 Gs of data per month. The GOOD news was that even with these data issues, I Was Still able to burn through some pretty righteous usage amounts of data. :D 5Gs a month just wasn't going to cut it.)

You also probably axe why didn't I just enable Lte on my N4 and try that. Another good question. I was a Root Virgin. And I was also in my Solitary Confinement suite at the Android Graybar Hilton. :( I had few other places to go where I could get info dumbed down enough for me to comprende'.

Finally, I DID load up the Wugs tool kit and got rooted with no problem. Whee! But ignernt me had only one safe way I thought I could enable the Lte radio without any outside help and that was with that one App that does it for you. Which eedeeit me promptly screwed up trying to do it. ACK! (Screwed up in that I couldn't enable Lte but things radio wise Were as they were before.)

First, and this was around the end of February, Metro promises me some tower upgrades the beginning of June. That came and there was a minor speed bump and the signal looked a bit stronger for a few days. Then it went to hell in a handbasket. I lost ALL DATA for a week!! And, it was totally tower related as as soon as I drove about 2 miles away, BAM! on came data and with really nice speeds. 3 miles from here, I've ALWAYS seen Steller speeds, just not HERE. Things with me and my Metro Faceplant peeps as you might could imagine, went to Defcon 5. I gotta give them props though, in a week, everything came back on, at least back to the prior crappyish speeds and they even gave me a credit on my bill for the week without any data.

Of course, they also suggested I enable Lte and I also told them why that idea was in a holding pattern. (Still is actually. :( I'm just as root ignernt as I was before...)

Finally, about the middle of June they tell me to hold on just a bit longer that the later half of July there is supposed to be a new tower coming online near me, maybe that would fix things. They had had their tower rats check both my towers 1.5 miles away or less away and Everyone was clueless as to why my signal sucked so bad.

I'll be damned if about 10 days ago, what they said didn't come to pass. I woke up on a Friday and WOW! a much nicer signal showing (bars). I ran some Speedtests over the weekend and all was genuinely FIXED. Now, I'm not getting as high of speeds are there still is 3 miles from here, but by Far the highest and best quality signal I've EVER seen on Metro.

I was so happy that I posted Both a long public Thank You to the full 6 person Faceplant team that had assisted me over the 6 months or so Along with an even more glowing one backchannel to them. Gave them all hugs and kisses, packed up my little pup tent and told them I'd be on my merry way.

So. I WOULDN'T get Just a HSPA+ phone Unless you were 110% SURE it has the signal you want, that you've seen with your own eyes, at the EXACT location you'll be using it at the most.

(Sorry this is so long but as you can see, a LOT has happened while I was staying at the Android Graybar Hilton. ;) )

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones