• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which next-gen console will you be getting?

Which next-gen console will you be getting?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • XBox One

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Both

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters
Yeeeeeep. After the E3 keynotes yesterday, Sony has gained my money in their pockets. However, if it wasn't for Square Enix and Bungie.. I'd likely be sitting on the sidelines this go-round.

I have god's own PC that I spent an absolute fortune on a few years back, which I upgrade every two years to bleeding edge equipment. I use it for work and for gaming.

The last console I owned was the original Playstation. To be honest, my computer can do everything a console can do except a thousand times better.

Maybe so, but the same games that are on console don't always release for PC. Ultimately, I would think that a console would save you money in the long run also. I have a gaming PC also, but there are only select titles that I play on it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Maybe so, but the same games that are on console don't always release for PC. Ultimately, I would think that a console would save you money in the long run also. I have a gaming PC also, but there are only select titles that I play on it.

I see what you are saying and I have looked into a console but my computer uses are pretty non-standard from the average Joe.

Firstly though, when I play games, I mainly play a lot of First Person Shooters and having tried them on a console, they were awful in comparison to my PC. Yes there may be some games that are 'console only' but having played a few of those on friends consoles, I haven't lost any sleep over the fact that they aren't available for the computer.

My working day involves a lot of PC use, with video conferencing, music and video editing and various bits of coding. I have three 24" widescreen monitors with a desktop resolution of 5760x1200 and a 12 Terabyte NAS RAID that is used to stream films and music to my lounge, kitchen and garden. My phone and tablet connects to it so I can control my TVs, media streamers and steroes from that. Any console just can't keep up with what i use my PC for and would be a silly thing for my to buy merely to play games when I have a PC that can play the latest cutting edge games at max resolution through a set of top of the line 7.1 speakers. It would be like going from a Ferrari to a beaten up 1 litre Honda and frankly I don't wish to do that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I see what you are saying and I have looked into a console but my computer uses are pretty non-standard from the average Joe.

Firstly though, when I play games, I mainly play a lot of First Person Shooters and having tried them on a console, they were awful in comparison to my PC. Yes there may be some games that are 'console only' but having played a few of those on friends consoles, I haven't lost any sleep over the fact that they aren't available for the computer.

My working day involves a lot of PC use, with video conferencing, music and video editing and various bits of coding. I have three 24" widescreen monitors with a desktop resolution of 5760x1200 and a 12 Terabyte NAS RAID that is used to stream films and music to my lounge, kitchen and garden. My phone and tablet connects to it so I can control my TVs, media streamers and steroes from that. Any console just can't keep up with what i use my PC for and would be a silly thing for my to buy merely to play games when I have a PC that can play the latest cutting edge games at max resolution through a set of top of the line 7.1 speakers. It would be like going from a Ferrari to a beaten up 1 litre Honda and frankly I don't wish to do that.

I figured that from your previous post, but I was just referring to the games in general though.

Upvote 0
Yeeeeeep. After the E3 keynotes yesterday, Sony has gained my money in their pockets. However, if it wasn't for Square Enix and Bungie.. I'd likely be sitting on the sidelines this go-round.

i'm actually leaning this way now as well. I still have some questions about the PS4 but as of now i have them both pre ordered on Amazon.

Upvote 0
I thought about something at work today...

MS shoulda have made the XBO a HTPC that can play games. If they do that, it might be a monster hit.

Take the game console label off and call it a HTPC.

I don't think it would sell that much better because of the fact that their primary customers were hardcore gamers, and the secondary stuff was just added bonuses. Now that the secondary stuff is becoming their main feature set, it won't work out the way they may have thought it would. In fact, with all of these new policies coming in place - I'm willing to bet they change their minds after the units don't sell.

Upvote 0
Umm...wow! They don't know when to stop digging, apparently.:rolleyes:

You can't take it to certain countries with you either:

983972_468172879937620_1218366600_n.jpg

Saw it on FB earlier.

I don't travel a lot and I doubt I'd take it with me anyway.

I've been Xbox all the way for ages, but after seeing Destiny and hearing all the stuff M$ has to "offer", I'll likely be getting a PS4.

Upvote 0
Honestly, its kind of ironic how closely this ties to what Google does with phones without SD card slots.

"16 GB? This won't hold my music"

"Just use our great streaming services!"

"What if we're in areas without good coverage?"

"Uhhh"

Companies assume people are ALWAYS connected, and that isn't the case for some

Upvote 0
Honestly, its kind of ironic how closely this ties to what Google does with phones without SD card slots.

"16 GB? This won't hold my music"

"Just use our great streaming services!"

"What if we're in areas without good coverage?"

"Uhhh"

Companies assume people are ALWAYS connected, and that isn't the case for some

True, but at least you can download some of your content to the device or computer ahead of time if you're going to be offline for an extended period. Unlike this xbone with it's 24 hour check in. But I do like the comparison.

Upvote 0
I am going with the PS4.

400 dollars compared to 500.

No online check in every 24 hours
No Used Game restrictions

Playstation Plus provides several free games a month and discounts. Hopefully the online servers are better. XBL while having better servers minimal free games and the prices for games sucks.

Sony exclusive game support. Playstation 3 had Uncharted 1-3, The Last of US, Gran Turismo, Infamous, Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big PLanet, Heavy Rain, Beyond 2 Souls, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Resistance, Killzone, Flower, Journey, MLB The Show amongst many other exclusive games. Xbox had Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake and Forza.

Upvote 0
I don't think it would sell that much better because of the fact that their primary customers were hardcore gamers, and the secondary stuff was just added bonuses. Now that the secondary stuff is becoming their main feature set, it won't work out the way they may have thought it would. In fact, with all of these new policies coming in place - I'm willing to bet they change their minds after the units don't sell.

Given the backlash, I wouldn't be surprised to see them backtrack on some of the restrictions even before launch.

Upvote 0
I am going with the PS4.

400 dollars compared to 500.

No online check in every 24 hours
No Used Game restrictions

Playstation Plus provides several free games a month and discounts. Hopefully the online servers are better. XBL while having better servers minimal free games and the prices for games sucks.

Sony exclusive game support. Playstation 3 had Uncharted 1-3, The Last of US, Gran Turismo, Infamous, Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big PLanet, Heavy Rain, Beyond 2 Souls, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Resistance, Killzone, Flower, Journey, MLB The Show amongst many other exclusive games. Xbox had Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake and Forza.

Sony did say that they planned on getting more dedicated servers to support better online matchmaking, etc etc..

Upvote 0
Given the backlash, I wouldn't be surprised to see them backtrack on some of the restrictions even before launch.

I'm not counting on them doing that until after launch. They're while corporate attitude of deal with it and ignorance to the issue doesn't lead me to believe that they'll backtrack until sales numbers are in the toilet. And even then, who knows if it's possible without going back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0
I agree. They won't change until they see it hit their bottom lines. MS is feeling cocky and for good reason... the X360 was a monster.

As for which console, I have learned that with gaming to be very patient. Probably won't pick any next gen console for at least 2 years. If I had to choose right now though it would be PS4 even though Ive been with Xbox for the last two gens.

Upvote 0
Not that I have much sympathy for those who'd get banned anyway, but I read today that if you get banned from Xbox Live, you lose the licenses for any game you've bought.

Not sure of the legal implications of that though, I imagine it would differ country to country.

I can't imagine how that would be legal. I can imagine that of that happens that the lawsuit could get ugly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones