• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which of the following phones is better for me?

Hello,
i want to buy a new smartphone. Currently i am down to these 4 devices:

HTC Desire
HTC Desire S
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S Plus

I like to be able to tinker and learn how to develop roms for the phones.

I liked the Desire S, but i hear many complains about the wifi deathgrip. Is there any fix to this problem?
A friend has the Desire and I tried it and i find it a very good phone, also I couldn't find any complains about wifi signal etc...

About the Samsungs, the lack of custom roms concerns me, especially for the SGS Plus. Also are there any reports of poor GPS performance?

What's your opinion about these phones?

Desire - has the most third party (Custom ROM and devs) support among the phones
Desire S - not really sure, but so far my friend's Desire S was nice
Galaxy S - Has the best GPU by far among the 3
Galaxy S Plus - Has the best CPU

Personally, I'd probably go SGS. GPS performance according to reports have been fixed with the gingerbread update.

Upvote 0
Desire - has the most third party (Custom ROM and devs) support among the phones
Desire S - not really sure, but so far my friend's Desire S was nice
Galaxy S - Has the best GPU by far among the 3
Galaxy S Plus - Has the best CPU

Personally, I'd probably go SGS. GPS performance according to reports have been fixed with the gingerbread update.

Completely agreed, that's exactly what I would recommend.

The only reason id go for the samsung over the htc is if I took a lot of cell phone pictures. Otherwise HTC(esp if you wand dev support)

I definitely will have to disagree with you, HTC doesn't always have better dev support. The Galaxy S has a huge dev community, that won't disappoint.

Is the HTC better than SGS?
The SGS has better cpu and gpu...

This all comes down to personal preference, I used to love HTC devices but the hardware in my opinion is sub par. And HTC isn't exactly original when it comes to design, they have used pretty much the same design for the last 10 phones they have produced.

So IMO Samsung is much better than HTC. (But as I said it's personal preference.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones