• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Sprint Android is Right for Me?

ll4mma

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
Hello, I'd like to start off by saying that I currently have an HTC Hero running Cyanogen Mod. I love it to death, but the hardware is on it's last leg after a solid 3 year run, and because I'm running Android 2.3.3, I feel as if I'm missing out on quite a bit.

I want something much beefier, and with the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS coming out, I figured now would be a good time to pick up a new phone.

I'm currently limited to Sprint phones only, and I'm not sure what to pick. I'm a huge fan of custom ROMS/hacks, (I'd die without superuser access...) and want a phone that has a decent modding scene.

Ice Cream Sandwich compatibility is a major must for me, as some of the features introduced in ICS are my main reason for switching, plus my phone is getting quite ancient.

The brand does not matter to me, as I have a lot of faith in all the current big names in Mobile Handset manufacturing.

4G is a must, as I use the internet on my phone voraciously. Battery life isn't a terribly huge concern, seeing as how I charge my phone religiously every night, and have about an hour and a half drive to and from work, all places I can charge if need be.

Tethering/Mobile hotspot would be a major plus, but not required.

LED Notifications are very important to me aswell, because I rely heavily on them, I can get by without, but I would really rather that capability.

Media capabilities/compatibility aren't important to me, because I really don't plan on watching movies/TV on the phone.

Hello, I'd like to start off by saying that I currently have an HTC Hero running Cyanogen Mod. I love it to death, but the hardware is on it's last leg after a solid 3 year run, and because I'm running Android 2.3.3, I feel as if I'm missing out on quite a bit.

I want something much beefier, and with the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS coming out, I figured now would be a good time to pick up a new phone.

I'm currently limited to Sprint phones only, and I'm not sure what to pick. I'm a huge fan of custom ROMS/hacks, (I'd die without superuser access...) and want a phone that has a decent modding scene.

Ice Cream Sandwich compatibility is a major must for me, as some of the features introduced in ICS are my main reason for switching, plus my phone is getting quite ancient.

The brand does not matter to me, as I have a lot of faith in all the current big names in Mobile Handset manufacturing.

4G is a must, as I use the internet on my phone voraciously. Battery life isn't a terribly huge concern, seeing as how I charge my phone religiously every night, and have about an hour and a half drive to and from work, all places I can charge if need be.

Tethering/Mobile hotspot would be a major plus, but not required.

LED Notifications are very important to me aswell, because I rely heavily on them, I can get by without, but I would really rather that capability.

Media capabilities/compatibility aren't important to me, because I really don't plan on watching movies/TV on the phone.

Welcome to the forums!
Here's what I do. Go to a Sprint store and see what they have to offer. While there visit Android Forums on my current phone and see which of Sprint's offerings have root/roms/mods available and use that info as a basis for the new purchase. I won't even buy a phone unless root is available for it. This will also allow you to play with the various phones and see which ones fit your needs. Beware that some of Sprint's offerings are EOL, meaning End Of Life, and won't receive any more updates.. the EVO 4G is an example.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones