• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is getting the P8 Lite?

Unforgiven

...eschew obfuscation...
Administrator
  • Jun 23, 2010
    Douglas, MA
    I've been using the phone for a bit now.
    http://www.gethuawei.com/p8lite.html

I never thought I would go for a cheapo prepaid phone but I was hugely impressed as a standalone and side by side with my Moto X. I'm actually getting a second one for my wife and finally escaping big red.

Spec screenshot shamelessly ripped from Phandroids page.:D
    Screen-Shot-2015-06-03-at-4.36.57-AM-640x426.png

For the next 48 hours they are giving $50 off, $50 prepaid phone card, free bluetooth speakers, and a case with purchase.
    http://www.gethuawei.com/offers-promotions

Reactions: codesplice
    I'm a newcomer to the forum. My P8 Lite should arrive later this week. This will be my first phone without a removable battery, so I'm nervous about that. Any reports about battery life and charging times would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome to Android Forums @joeroyhud :) My second P8 Lite just arrived today, and my third should arrive tomorrow. Did you get yours via the Anniversary sale?

I was lucky enough to be able to test the P8 Lite via Huawei's FUT contest that was offered here and on other various forums.

I've been running it for two months and the battery life is great. Easily morning to night, which is my usual benchmark as I always plug my phones in overnight. There were several times I easily made it 2 days with no extraneous effort as saving power. It also has a battery saving mode it enters into when battery is low that pretty much makes it a dumbphone (calls & texts only I think) that really stretches you last mA as long as they can go, but I only made it to that level while testing the phone.

As far as charging times, it is very quick relative to my Moto X. I'm not sure what the specs are on the supplied charger as far as output, but whenever I burned the battery down in testing a quick bump of 15-30 minutes on USB (500mA) would get me enough charge to last a few hours and get home.

Again, I want to reiterate, I was intentionally running apps I know eat battery with screen settings all the way bright while running specific tests. I never had a problem with the battery when using it as I would normally use my phone, including casual gameplay.

Good luck with the phone and let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
    Welcome to Android Forums @joeroyhud :) My second P8 Lite just arrived today, and my third should arrive tomorrow. Did you get yours via the Anniversary sale?

Yes, I ordered the $199 package Wednesday night, but they're still processing the order. That's a little frustrating.

Thanks very much for the report. Sounds like the battery shouldn't be a concern.

Reactions: Unforgiven
    Upvote 0
    Yes, I ordered the $199 package Wednesday night, but they're still processing the order. That's a little frustrating.

Thanks very much for the report. Sounds like the battery shouldn't be a concern.
    Battery shouldn't be a concern.

FWIW I opened a chat session to verify my order with them as I received a confirmation email for my second order and not the first. I ordered on Friday. I paid the $6 for expedited shipment on my phones. They actually both shipped yesterday and I've received one today. They use Amazon for order fulfillment, so they will ship from where they have inventory. I had one ship from Maryland with UPS and one ship from Tennessee with USPS.o_O

Upvote 0
    Now they're telling me it could be next Wednesday before my phone arrives. That's two weeks from the time of order. They're refunding the $6 for two-day shipping, which is small consolation at this point.
    That stinks. I got my two yesterday and had some time to activate them. Now I am getting everything set up when I get home from work.

Reactions: joeroyhud
    Upvote 0
    Well, now that I'm pretty much set up on my phone, I figured I'd give you some real world stats for something battery related I tried today. This test was actually for the live of the speaker bar they gave away with the anniversary sale. I wanted to see how long it would last on a charge, but I'm using the P8 to stream Sirius XM over WiFi to the speakers via Bluetooth with the speakers at a comfortable volume level where I can hear the music without having to mute or turn down to talk on the phone or to my staff in my office.

Both have been on non stop since I got to work at 6AM EDT. The speakers are getting low as only one of the four battery level LED's is lit, so let's say 25%. The phone is at 30%. Mind you, this is streaming from the web non-stop for 9 1/2 hours so far.

Just some battery info with real useage for you.:)

Upvote 0
    Mine arrived yesterday. I'm pleased with it so far. My only quibble so far is with the screen. Compared to my old Samsung Galaxy S2, there's just not as much pop in the colors, and the viewing angles aren't as good. (But I must've paid at least 3x as much for the Samsung.)
    Yeah, once you go AMOLED it's hard to go back to a boring old LCD. I think the P8L screen looks pretty good for an LCD though!

Reactions: joeroyhud
    Upvote 0
    I tried to get the hang of the EMUI launcher and just never could. But hey - it's Android, so I can load up Nova or Action or Google Now launchers and feel right at home.

I haven't been using my P8L as my primary device lately, so I've left it in Ultra Power Saving mode just to see how long it will go. Almost seven days in and I was at 70%.

1435429739875.jpg

Huawei doesn't mess around with battery life.

Upvote 0
    Two weeks in now. I'm easily getting two days on the battery since I don't hesitate to hit the Optimize button or pop the phone into Ultra Battery mode.

I hated the EMUI interface at first and installed Nova Launcher and my old phone's settings. But I eventually found the time to customize the EMUI layout, and now I'm sticking with EMUI.

How can you customize the EMUI? can you please post a link?
    Thank you.

Upvote 0
    Maybe "customize" sounds like more than it is. It was mostly just a matter of reorganizing app icons. I put a lot of them into folders and ended up with something closely resembling my Nova launcher setup, but without an app drawer.

Then I applied a theme with icons I liked.

Everything's on four screens now (and it would actually fit on three). Here's what it looks like. It works great for me, but of course to each his own. :)

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Upvote 0
    Maybe "customize" sounds like more than it is. It was mostly just a matter of reorganizing app icons. I put a lot of them into folders and ended up with something closely resembling my Nova launcher setup, but without an app drawer.

Everything's on four screens now (and it would actually fit on three). Here's what it looks like. It works great for me, but of course to each his own. :)

View attachment 97274

View attachment 97275

View attachment 97276

View attachment 97277

Thank you "joeroyhud". I did not know the icons are customizable.

Upvote 0

View attachment 97274

View attachment 97275

View attachment 97276

View attachment 97277
    BTW, what's the name of the theme you applied?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones