• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is into eating nuts as a snack

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
Simple question... who is into eating this healthy snack. Most of my life I was a chip and salsa sort of snack guy. Though I was a big consumer it didn't show up on my waist line. Now that I'm retired and far less active I've discovered that my beloved go-to snack has to be consumed in moderation. I've always loved nuts and though my favorite nut has changed with age, I never ate them seriously. I loved pecans as a youth and a five pound sack was always a Christmas present from my parents. I didn't exactly lose my love for pecans but I moved to cashews in my early adulthood. Later I turned to pistachios for my fix and found a love for a salt / pepper pistachios I stumbled upon a couple of years back.
Last year I did a quick search as to the merit of eating nuts. I was blown away by the amount of essential oils and nutrients of nuts. The good fats vs bad fats of most chips really turned me on. I've turned in my bags of chips for bags of nuts. The crunch I love is there with nuts, the flavor is there, but far more healthy.
Any nut lovers here? Do you have a favorite nut or are you a mix nut sort of person. Do you eat them out of love for nuts or their benefits?

Reactions: AugieTN
I tried my hand of smoking some roasted peanuts and cashews. Some hot spices and garlic then cold smoked for 4.25 hours. They might not be for everyone but I can't quit eating them. Next time I cold smoke nuts I plan on making some hot pistachios. I'll do cashews and peanuts again because they turned out great.

Upvote 0
larry wilmore television GIF

Sorry, had to do it. As you were.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
The last time I cold smoked nuts all I did was cashews. So far they are my favorite smoked nut. I smoked 40 0z of cashews and I'm running low. I plan to smoke some more cashews soon and try some macadamia nuts to see how they turn out. I'm not a big almond fan but I might smoke some as well. Maybe the added spice and smoke will turn them into something special.

Upvote 0
The last time I cold smoked nuts all I did was cashews. So far they are my favorite smoked nut. I smoked 40 0z of cashews and I'm running low. I plan to smoke some more cashews soon and try some macadamia nuts to see how they turn out. I'm not a big almond fan but I might smoke some as well. Maybe the added spice and smoke will turn them into something special.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
When I was into eating candy bars, I would never consider an Almond Joy. Almonds are just not my thing. Oh Henry was my favorite with Snickers coming in second and Pay Day in third place. All three contain peanuts. I'm still a lover of peanuts but I've yet to come up with the perfect spice for smoking them. The next time I smoke peanuts I'm adding some hot cajun seasoning to them along with my standard butter, cayenne, garlic, and paprika spices.

Upvote 0
I'm smoking nuts today. I'm just doing cashews today... two tins worth. Each tin is spiced with a tbsp of butter, a half tsp of each powdered garlic and cayenne pepper, and a quarter tsp of paprika and an eight tsp of cajun seasoning. It's the first I've tried the cajun seasoning but I love the stuff. It just has to give the cashews a great flavor.

I wanted to smoke some cheese today. Might as well fill the smoker surface with items to smoke while smoking. However, it's so darn hot out that I was afraid the cheeses might melt.

Cashews.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My cashews got six hours of smoke. I have brought them in and will put them in canisters before I go to bed. I failed to mention that I always dust each tin of nuts with pink Himalayan salt as well. Added salt makes the hot seasoning pop. I ate a couple of cashews and the jury is still out on the added cajun seasoning. I'll know more after they rest for a few days. The freshly smoked nuts flavor always overpowers the flavor of the nut straight off of the smoker.

Upvote 0
No. I store them just like they came from the store.
View attachment 168133
You can see a canister of regular salted cashews and today's smoked cashews.

I was wondering about refrigeration since you add butter to the smoking process. Sooner or later I'm going to try smoking some nuts on my grill.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I was wondering about refrigeration since you add butter to the smoking process. Sooner or later I'm going to try smoking some nuts on my grill.
There is so little butter on the nuts it's not been a problem. A cooking oil would serve the same bonding task with even less concern.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones