• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who Rules America?

I hate to tell you this, but unions have been making partisan political communications to their members for decades. As well as every other organization that I've ever been apart of. And companies have been able to fire people for what they say on social networks for years. None of this new or shocking.

Unions don't fire or hire, see the difference ? You don't see a problem when companies base firing/hiring on political views, politicians they support ? Think Third Reich.

It appears conservatives get their panties in a wad when the government bans private ownership of weapons of mass destruction, but when corporations that finance (ALEX) the political process tell their employees who to vote for, it doesn't raise an eyebrow. When that attitude becomes the rule, kiss living in a free country goodbye.

Upvote 0
Unions don't fire or hire, see the difference ? You don't see a problem when companies base firing/hiring on political views, politicians they support ? Think Third Reich.

It appears conservatives get their panties in a wad when the government bans private ownership of weapons of mass destruction, but when corporations that finance (ALEX) the political process tell their employees who to vote for, it doesn't raise an eyebrow. When that attitude becomes the rule, kiss living in a free country goodbye.

I hope I NEVER end up working for, or be in the mercy of a company that tells me how to vote. Any companies to mention that does?

Upvote 0
... Any companies to mention that does?

It appears Citizens United opened up the floodgates for this propaganda/coercive war.

Is Your Boss Going to 'Mine' Your Vote? More Corporations Step Up Coercion | The Nation

"In recent weeks, a flurry of news coverage has focused on an undemocratic trend in workplaces around the country: employers telling their workers which politicians they should vote for. CEOs for Murray Energy, Koch Industries, ASG Software and Westgate Resorts have pressured their employees to vote for particular political candidates, like Mitt Romney.

The Nation has found that the phenomenon appears far more wide-ranging than previously known. Businesses throughout Washington State, along with a loose network of hundreds of coal and mining companies, are preparing to urge employees to vote for specific political candidates. Meanwhile, lobbyists in Washington are working furiously to encourage more corporations to adopt these tactics.

One of the lesser-known consequences of the Citizens United decision is how corporations gained the power to explicitly recommend candidates to their rank-and-file workers. Before, corporations were limited to mostly encouraging civic participation. Now, managers can make political appeals for a candidate in the workplace."

Upvote 0
It appears Citizens United opened up the floodgates for this propaganda/coercive war.

Is Your Boss Going to 'Mine' Your Vote? More Corporations Step Up Coercion | The Nation

"In recent weeks, a flurry of news coverage has focused on an undemocratic trend in workplaces around the country: employers telling their workers which politicians they should vote for. CEOs for Murray Energy, Koch Industries, ASG Software and Westgate Resorts have pressured their employees to vote for particular political candidates, like Mitt Romney.

The Nation has found that the phenomenon appears far more wide-ranging than previously known. Businesses throughout Washington State, along with a loose network of hundreds of coal and mining companies, are preparing to urge employees to vote for specific political candidates. Meanwhile, lobbyists in Washington are working furiously to encourage more corporations to adopt these tactics.

One of the lesser-known consequences of the Citizens United decision is how corporations gained the power to explicitly recommend candidates to their rank-and-file workers. Before, corporations were limited to mostly encouraging civic participation. Now, managers can make political appeals for a candidate in the workplace."

Its really sad...sad.

Upvote 0

But this is nothing new. It's happened literally for generations by both sides of the spectrum.

Upvote 0
And then the union drives the company into bankruptcy and everyone loses their job. I've never understood that "logic".
I've never understood all the companies executives who are making $millions or close to it if not, decides they need more millions, so they lay off the lower level workers to save money. I don't see the logic in that. Why not start laying off alot of the big shots first? That's what driving them into bankrupcy. But then we both know, most of these companies i'm referring to are making profits.

Upvote 0
If a company doesn't make a profit then it goes out of business and isn't a company any more. The union then becomes irrelevant because there are no jobs.
But as long as the company is in business and making profits, with a union the company can't fire an employee because the boss doesn't like his shoes, looks, hair or skin color. He will not be able to fire you and hire his friend, relative etc.

This is what is happening with majority of companies now, no union to protect the employees, so they are doing as they please with or without profits.

You mean to say you would rather work for a company without a union than to work for one with a union? Interesting.

Upvote 0
Whoa whoa whoa!

HOLD the phone here!

:mad:

I can't BELIEVE no one here knows the CORRECT answer to this so very basic and SIMPLE question!

Basically in the very beginning there was this dude... he was very good with... the "Kung Fu" :)

No mere mortal could defeat his putty like nose like ever... no one has seen his face... and lived to tell the tale...

In just the blink of an eye he could Round House kick you in the face to the moon and back!

He is the be all and end all... the Alpha... the Omega... the beginning.... and the end!

He is "The Chosen One"

He is the TRUE ruler of Yankee Doodle Land (US of A)... uhh and I guess he also rules those "other" places in the world we just don't ever mention!

:)

Here he be!

(Click to have nightmares for the rest of your days!)

cc4ebaa0d5.png

I am so very ashamed to be associated with such... "people"...

:'-(

I am ashamed to call myself an Android Forums member!

Say it aint so!

xD

Upvote 0
Perhaps who rules Romney is a better title.

Mitt Romney's Dirty Dozen | Politics News | Rolling Stone

"Not so long ago, Mitt Romney used to blast deadly coal-fired power plants and talk up emission caps to curb the "dramatic warming of our planet." But as the GOP nominee for president, Romney has become dirty energy's biggest cheerleader. As his running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, slams federal investment in wind and solar energy as "green pork," Romney is loudly championing Big Oil, Big Coal, fracking and the disastrous Keystone XL pipeline that will bring climate-killing Canadian crude to the global export market.

What accounts for Mitt's extreme energy makeover? Millions of dollars in campaign spending from fossil-fuel titans and advice from the drill-baby-drill crowd might have something to do with it. Here's a look at Romney's Dirty Dozen

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Perhaps who rules Romney is a better title.

Mitt Romney's Dirty Dozen | Politics News | Rolling Stone

"Not so long ago, Mitt Romney used to blast deadly coal-fired power plants and talk up emission caps to curb the "dramatic warming of our planet." But as the GOP nominee for president, Romney has become dirty energy's biggest cheerleader. As his running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, slams federal investment in wind and solar energy as "green pork," Romney is loudly championing Big Oil, Big Coal, fracking and the disastrous Keystone XL pipeline that will bring climate-killing Canadian crude to the global export market.

What accounts for Mitt's extreme energy makeover? Millions of dollars in campaign spending from fossil-fuel titans and advice from the drill-baby-drill crowd might have something to do with it. Here's a look at Romney's Dirty Dozen

Upvote 0
A.Nonymous said:
Hate to break it to you. Companies can fire you because they don't like the shoes you're wearing that day.

Where did/do you work, in a coal mine in 1920? MOST (Burger King, McDonalds etc. not included) companies require documentation (union or not) before a person is terminated. Unless they have a huge screw up (i.e commercial driver having a preventable accident with a death and it was their fault) or if you say something stupid (racist or sexist) to the wrong person. Some circumstances do dictate immediate termination but after the proper investigation.

There are certain circumstances where you can get sent home or turned away for improper footwear. One example is in the iron ore mines here in Minnesota, you MUST have steel toe shoes (bare minimum with metatarsal boots preferred) and a hard hat just to enter their property. Most mines also require MSHA training as well.

If you do your job, nothing more, nothing less, you should not have to keep looking over your shoulder worried about getting fired.

Upvote 0
If you do your job, nothing more, nothing less, you should not have to keep looking over your shoulder worried about getting fired.

Or . . . that is how it SHOULD work.

I recall a supervisor who was hired by a manager who biked with the director of HR, who once said something like "I hire Vietnamese line assistants because they are smarter than whites. I would never hire a woman because my wife (a non-English speaking person from Vietnam) will not tolerate it" Or words like that.

This HR Director was hired and he brought along his friends and put them into positions they did not understand. When a problem arises, there was no reason to waste your time talking to HR.

This Super said it out loud and was unapologetic. HR listened to some others "whine" and said it was the Supervisor's prerogative to hire anyone he wants to hire. The same HR person who had people fired for cheating on their numbers (as they should have been) did nothing when his friends did exactly the same thing.

This wonk's wife was supposed to run a precision production line and she could not speak a lick of English, or understand a circuit or use a modem.

I recall the incestuous relationships between our Director of HR, several Line Managers and several Supervisors. You had to do your job, naturally, but you had to be careful not say anything that upset a Supervisor or Manager. Should they not like you, HR was no use. This is the same group that openly said they will look at a dozen whites before hiring a black person.

Lots of politics in the workplace and not only do you need to do your job, you have to play lots of games that make it very difficult to do that very job. You must CYA bigtime. Sometimes, you are screwed no matter how good you do your job and getting fired can be a matter of internal politics and BS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones