• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why are texts recieved and sent split up???

I think sometimes if you are on the same carrier, the phones know how to piece the texts back together, my ex had verizon, and if she got long texts from other verizon members, it came up as one, but if I sent her a long text, it would come as two.

I can't verify that, though, just conjecture.

Upvote 0
I think sometimes if you are on the same carrier, the phones know how to piece the texts back together, my ex had verizon, and if she got long texts from other verizon members, it came up as one, but if I sent her a long text, it would come as two.

I can't verify that, though, just conjecture.

Actually I think that is true. My friend on ATT when I used to have it has sent me some lengthy texts and they were never broken up. But now that I moved to Sprint and he is still with ATT, they are now broken up.

Upvote 0
Actually I think that is true. My friend on ATT when I used to have it has sent me some lengthy texts and they were never broken up. But now that I moved to Sprint and he is still with ATT, they are now broken up.

AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM and do not have the 160 character limit that Sprint and Verizon have since they are CDMA. Verizon to Verizon will send over 160 without splitting it, Sprint to Sprint will not. The fun is when they get split and arrive out of order and confuse the person you sent it to.

Upvote 0
AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM and do not have the 160 character limit that Sprint and Verizon have since they are CDMA. Verizon to Verizon will send over 160 without splitting it, Sprint to Sprint will not. The fun is when they get split and arrive out of order and confuse the person you sent it to.

This is SO IRRITATING. It happens all the time for my girlfriend and I. When I had a palm pre the texts always came in out of order and never sorted them. At least with the EVO the texts appear to be time stamped correctly but are just delivered late so they show up randomly in the middle of my messages. Sometimes I would even have to scroll up because I would feel a buzz but not see anything show up. Oh there it is, 6 texts up and 3 minutes late...

Oh and what is the deal with Android giving me an error every time I try to send a text and just happen to be getting one at the same time? Never had this problem with the pre, my old iphone, or any other phone since the dawn of time (or the dawn of text messaging).

Upvote 0
I've noticed with the Evo, if they get split up, and the second half comes in before the first half, when the first half actually comes in, it shows up above the second half. It helps reading the message when it finally is all in, but it is confusing when you see new text, but it appears that its the same message. Now I caught it, it isn't so bad (doesn't happen much, maybe twice), but the first time I was thinking i was going crazy.

P.S I know that didn't make sense, I thought for about 5 minutes how to word "second part comes first" and I'm pretty sure there is no way to say that clearly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones