Why are texts recieved and sent split up???

Last Updated:

1. justguth

justguth Member This Topic's Starter

I am a former iPhone user and when I had it my texts could be as long as they wanted too. When my girlfriend sends a long text to my EVO I get multiple texts and it is annoying. Is there a way to change this? Tried a search and no luck.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. blkhwkz

blkhwkz Active Member

It is a limitation of CDMA, 160 characters.

3. Barats

Barats Well-Known Member

That's just how it is. I had that on my old phone on ATT. Same way with my Evo. Texts aren't meant to be extremely long anyways.

4. no0b4lif3

no0b4lif3 Member

I know I can send 6 texts with 160 characters each, and it looks like it sent as a whole one on my phone. But still sent in pieces. Same as with my old BB

5. RichboyJhae

RichboyJhae Well-Known Member

Yeah. If you type a long message, it'll send as whole, but the other person will receive in parts.

6. R1_Rydah

R1_Rydah Well-Known Member

They are called sms (Short Message Service) emphasis on SHORT for a reason..

7. Joppie

Joppie Well-Known Member

I use Handcent and in the settings there's an option for "Split 160" under Settings\Send_message_settings. If you use that app, you could try playing around with those options to see what works.

8. jeremylobaugh

jeremylobaugh Well-Known Member

As others have said, short messages are a CDMA limitation. The messages are sent across the paging channel, which has a max of 160 characters. Some of the add-on messaging apps will allow you to use a 3rd party messaging service, but they aren't always free.

9. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

I think sometimes if you are on the same carrier, the phones know how to piece the texts back together, my ex had verizon, and if she got long texts from other verizon members, it came up as one, but if I sent her a long text, it would come as two.

I can't verify that, though, just conjecture.

10. codered78

codered78 Member

Use email if it's a problem

11. Barats

Barats Well-Known Member

Actually I think that is true. My friend on ATT when I used to have it has sent me some lengthy texts and they were never broken up. But now that I moved to Sprint and he is still with ATT, they are now broken up.

12. blkhwkz

blkhwkz Active Member

AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM and do not have the 160 character limit that Sprint and Verizon have since they are CDMA. Verizon to Verizon will send over 160 without splitting it, Sprint to Sprint will not. The fun is when they get split and arrive out of order and confuse the person you sent it to.

13. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

This is SO IRRITATING. It happens all the time for my girlfriend and I. When I had a palm pre the texts always came in out of order and never sorted them. At least with the EVO the texts appear to be time stamped correctly but are just delivered late so they show up randomly in the middle of my messages. Sometimes I would even have to scroll up because I would feel a buzz but not see anything show up. Oh there it is, 6 texts up and 3 minutes late...

Oh and what is the deal with Android giving me an error every time I try to send a text and just happen to be getting one at the same time? Never had this problem with the pre, my old iphone, or any other phone since the dawn of time (or the dawn of text messaging).

14. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member

just send a MMS.. and be done.. its that simple.. Handcent even converts it to MMS after about 3 texts i believe

15. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

I've noticed with the Evo, if they get split up, and the second half comes in before the first half, when the first half actually comes in, it shows up above the second half. It helps reading the message when it finally is all in, but it is confusing when you see new text, but it appears that its the same message. Now I caught it, it isn't so bad (doesn't happen much, maybe twice), but the first time I was thinking i was going crazy.

P.S I know that didn't make sense, I thought for about 5 minutes how to word "second part comes first" and I'm pretty sure there is no way to say that clearly.