• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why can't I get rid of these STOCK APPS!!! Driving me NUTS!

Naz927

Apr 23, 2010
I have tried using the Terminal Emulator, Root Explorer and ADB Shell commands, but each time I can't get rid of the stupid System Apps! Facebook, Voice, etc. I am running CM 6.1.2 right now with the kernal that comes with that. Please help, this is driving me nuts.

1) It's easiest to use titanium backup to just freeze stuff you don't want running. What do you not want that CM comes with? There's not a whole lot of what I would call bloatware running on it.

2) How did you attempt to remove it with Root explorer or any form of a terminal? Did you mount /system as rw, first? If you're using root explorer, there is a button on the top right that says "mount rw". If you're using a terminal emulator, you must type this first:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

Be careful just removing stuff out of /system/app. If you remove something you shouldn't have, it can be difficult to get everything working again. It's best to just rename apks with a .bak extension. If you must remove them, move them to the sdcard. Always make a nandroid backup first.

Reactions: Naz927
Upvote 0
Thanks again for responding to my post! Anyway, yes I did mount as rw in the Terminal Emulator and in Root Explorer. For example, after deleting the Facebook apk in RE, I reboot and there it is when I turn it on mocking me. So I try the Terminal Emulator, and yes I make sure to type in that command to rw, I type in the remove command and get no errors, reboot and there it is again! I am being careful in TRYING to delete these system apps, I know better than to delete most of the things in there but Facebook?! I don't use and/or want it, just want it off my EVO.

Upvote 0
What was your original rooting method? What is your current hboot version? Do you still have a custom recovery of some sort (at least CW 2.5.0.1 and up, or RA 1.8.0 and up)? How did you get s-on again? Pending no unusual answers to those questions, you should be able to just flash unrevoked-forever from recovery. That will allow you to permanently write to /system again.

Reactions: Naz927
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones