• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why can't the OEMs get it right?

there is a large portion of the market that dont leave covered areas.. and if they do, it aint for long. Could services are a good solution for many.

i think...privacy is the only major hurdle for could services. I myself only use it for work. Data is important.. but only to the company. My private info.. i try to keep off the net.

because Apple already has the market cornered for .. locked down walled gardens. and they make a good product for it... with a very loyal following. No new contenders into this market will do well.
so, google will not try to follow apple into that walled garden. they can not let OEMs take away android's biggest differentiators.. choices!

if one OEM drops SDcard support... but another still offers it.. then the market forces (supply and demand) will do its thing.. and i am sure the superior choice will win out.

Upvote 0
I agree on many of your points.

But, I do like heavily skinned ROMs like Sense. They might not be vanilla, but they work great (A custom Sense ROM is great- it's got beauty, and everything works better than how I think vanilla does, and if tweaked right, it'll be extremely slick).

More things to add:

Some more things: make a solid phone: one of the reasons I don't go with samsung, I don't want a phone with a plastic body. I want a solid aluminum casing like on my I4g, and I want to be able to drop it on solid concrete from 5 feet while running down the stairs, and have only a tiny nick on the aluminum backing, and a little on the screen (done that multiple times with my I4g, no issues at all)

Don't make phones with screens larger than 4.7 inches. I think 4.3 is perfect, YMMV, but seriously, the galaxy note is crazy. Even 4.7 inches is way to big IMO. 4.5 inches is another good size.

Upvote 0
What device? I find a lot of people (not you) are comparing the battery usage to old phone models or making assumptions without having used a newer models such as the HTC EV) 4G, Samsung Galaxy SIII.

As I stated earlier, i had an original EVO and the battery performance was horrible, but my new EVO 4G LTE, the battery is amazing. Yesterday I went out at 9am, Heavy texting, tweeted, FourSquare, heavy searching on Google maps, internet, taking pictures, reading books and played a few games. My phone was good until 9:30pm and I still had 17% battery left.

No phone battery will last that long if you use it to tether to your laptop for say like 5hrs a day. I use it as my primary internet connection on the go. Besides, it doesn't matter whether or not it lasts through me the day or it doesn't. What's important to me is I am able to check the health of the battery regularly. You can't see it swelling if its a non-removeable one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones